Mohamed Al-Fayed wealth

Here is how Mohamed Al-Fayed acquired his wealth and eventually managed to buy Harrods

He also bought House of Fraser in the 1980s

Mohamed Al-Fayed is introduced in the third episode of season five of The Crown and fans are able to see how he managed to mingle in the same circles as The Royal Family. Mohamed Al-Fayed is the father of Dodi Al-Fayed, who was famously in a relationship with Princess Diana before they both died in 1997.

Over the years, Mohamed Al-Fayed owned numerous businesses, including Harrods and is said to have a net worth of $1.9 billion. Despite showing his lavish lifestyle, the episode fails to highlight how Al-Fayed got his riches and became so wealthy. Here is exactly how Mohamed Al-Fayed became so rich and eventually managed to buy Harrods:

Mohamed Al-Fayed started working by selling lemonade

Al-Fayed is introduced in the third episode in season five of The Crown as a young boy selling drinks in the streets of Egypt. Mohamed was born in 1929 in Alexandria, Egypt. His father was a teacher and it is reported that Al-Fayed began working in odd jobs by selling lemonade and sewing machines. Al-Fayed’s “lucky break”, as described by the BBC, came when he was employed by Adnan Khashoggi and he began working for his Saudi Arabian import business.

via Netflix

Al-Fayed began working for the Sultan of Brunei in 1966

It was through his work with Khashoggi that Al-Fayed was able to launch his own shipping business, before becoming an adviser to one of the world’s richest men, the Sultan of Brunei. It was through this, Al-Fayed became extremely wealthy and successful.

via Netflix

In the 1970s, Mohamed Al-Fayed moved to England

Al-Fayed moved to Britain in the 1970s and joined the board of the mining conglomerate Lonrho in 1975. He left after nine months after a disagreement. He then bought the Paris Ritz Hotel with his brother, Ali, in 1979.

Mohamed Al-Fayed wealth

via Netflix

It was in the 1980s when Al-Fayed began to make his department store ventures. In 1985, the ownership of the House of Fraser group was passed to the Al Fayed family for £615 million. In the same year, Mohamed and his family bought the famous luxury department store, Harrods.

Al-Fayed also bought football clubs and financed famous British films

Alongside his department store ventures, Al-Fayed bought Fulham football club for approximately $9 million in 1997. He also financed a number of films, including Chariots of Fire which is discussed in season five of The Crown. Al-Fayed also signed a 50 year lease on the former home of Edward VIII and the Duchess of Windsor in 1986, naming it Villa Windsor.

Mohamed Al-Fayed wealth

via Netflix

The Crown season five is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.