Prepare to be shocked by the real life ages of the cast of From Scratch on Netflix

The actress who plays Amy is double the age of her character

It seems like it’s been ages since Netflix released a romance series with a deep story and great cast, all for us to get helplessly emotionally attached to – but here one is in the form of From Scratch.

Inspired by a memoir, From Scratch is a cross-cultural love story that follows Amahle “Amy” Wheeler, an American student studying abroad in Italy, as she meets and falls in love with Lino, a Sicilian chef. Their whirlwind romance faces many unforeseen challenges, including their very different cultural backgrounds. When Lino is faced with unimaginable health challenges and the couple’s future is threatened, the two families come together to create an extended family unlike any they could have imagined, proving that love crosses all borders.

You might be surprised to know the actors who play the characters in the romance have quite different ages to the people they are portraying. Here are all the real life ages of the cast of From Scratch on Netflix.

Zoe Saldana – Amy Wheeler

Age in real life: 44

The ages of the cast of From Scratch on Netflix

via Netflix

Avatar actress Zoe Saldana plays the lead, Amy Wheeler. In the series, Amy is 22 and has gone to Italy to study art. In real life, Zoe Saldana in 44. Tell me how she actually looks 22 in the show then please? Is this CGI? Are my eyes deceiving me?

Eugenio Mastrandrea – Lino

Age in real life: 28

via Netflix

Lino is a chef in Florence, who Amy falls for. His played by 28-year-old actor Eugenio Mastrandrea, who is from Rome. In real life, he has a 16-year age gap with his on-screen romance.

Danielle Deadwyler – Zora Wheeler

Age in real life: 40

via Netflix

Zora is Amy’s older sister in From Scratch, but the actress who plays her is actually younger than the actress who plays Amy. Danielle Deadwyler is 40, and in the show is probably meant to be in her late 20s.

Keith David – Hershel Wheeler

Age in real life: 66

via Netflix

Amy’s father, Hershel, is played by Keith David. Keith David is 66, and has had over 300 roles in his career.

Judith Scott – Maxine Wheeler

Age in real life: 57

via Netflix

Judith Scott plays Amy’s step-mother, Maxine. The American actress is best known for her roles in Dexter and LA Doctors. You might also recognise her as Dr Jenna Williams from CSI.

Kellita Smith – Lynn

Age in real life: 53

via Netflix

Lynn is Amy’s mother, who clashes with her ex-husband’s new wife, Maxine. In real life, Kellita Smith, who plays her, is 53.

Ruby Kammer – Sloane

Age in real life: 30

via Netflix

Ruby Kammer plays Sloane, who introduces Amy to the city. She works in a bar, and it’s assumed she’s around a similar age to Amy – which is 22. However in real life, Ruby Kammer, who plays her, is 30.

Giacomo Gianniotti – Giancarlo

Age in real life: 33

via Netflix

Italian actor Giacomo Gianniotti plays Giancarlo, who Amy is initially seeing. His family owns a gallery and he’s a wealthy man in Florence. In real life, the actor is aged 33.

Lucia Sardo – Filomena

Age in real life: 69

via Netflix

Lino’s mother, Filomena, is played by Lucia Sardo. In real life, the Italian actress is 69 and is also credited for directing and writing in the past.

Paride Benassai – Giacomo

Age in real life: 66

via Netflix

Giacomo is Lino’s estranged father. He’s played by 66-year-old Paride Benassai, who is an actor, director and author of theatrical texts. He has written and performed plays since 1976.

From Scratch is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.