The best true crime dramas on Netflix, according to their Rotten Tomatoes scores

Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story isn’t rated well, but a lot more are

Whether we like to admit it or not, a lot of us are fascinated by the true crime genre. As well as true crime documentaries, Netflix has an entire catalogue of true crime dramas, with some of the best having huge famous faces cast in them.

From stories of serial killers to scam artists, loads of true crime cases have been turned into TV shows and films. These are officially the best true crime dramas on Netflix right now, according to their scores on Rotten Tomatoes.

Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story – 53 per cent

Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story

via Netflix

Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story is the latest true crime drama series to be released on Netflix. It’s 10-parts and tells the story of the serial killer, from his perspective as well as those of his victims, neighbours and family. In 1991, Dahmer was arrested for murdering 17 young men and boys. Dahmer was a cannibal, and sometimes ate the body parts and hearts of his victims.

Inventing Anna – 64 per cent

The best true crime dramas on Netflix, Inventing Anna

via Netflix

Inventing Anna on Netflix is a dramatised version of the story of New York’s fake heiress, Anna Delvey. She scammed banks, hotels, New York’s elite and even her own friends out of hundreds of thousands of dollars. Anna pretended to be an heiress with a $60million family fortune, in order to try to convince investors and banks to loan her money for her grand business plan, the Anna Delvey Foundation.

Lost Girls – 74 per cent

via Netflix

Lost Girls, which scores 74 per cent on Rotten Tomatoes, is based on the true crime story of the Long Island serial killer. The Netflix film is based on the New York Times best selling book with the same name by Robert Kolker. It focuses on the story of Shannan Gilbert, a sex worker who went missing in 2010. Shannan was found dead in December 2011.

Dirty John – 78 per cent

The best true crime dramas on Netflix, Dirty John

via Netflix

The Dirty John anthology is a dramatised series based on true stories. The first tells the story of John Meehan, a serial conman and wealthy anaesthesiologist. Debra Newell fell for John, before it became clear he had an extremely dark history and might not be as wealthy or even as qualified as he first made out.

The second series is called the Betty Broderick Story and is all about one of America’s most controversial marriages. Dan and Betty Broderick got divorced after Betty suspected Dan was having an affair with his much younger assistant at work. She was right, and Dan and his new girlfriend began to flaunt their new lives in front of Betty. Betty’s behaviour became irrational and violent and the divorce had to go to court.

Believe Me: The Abduction of Lisa McVey – 80 per cent

via Netflix

This true crime film stars Katie Douglas, who you might recognise from Ginny and Georgia, as Lisa McVey. Aged 17, Lisa McVey was abducted by serial killer Bobby Joe Long, but managed to persuade him to set her free. Not only that, she was then able to recall her ordeal so well, and had purposely left behind crucial evidence, so that police were able to track down the killer. It has a very impressive score of 80 per cent on Rotten Tomatoes.

When They See Us – 97 per cent

The best true crime dramas on Netflix, When They See Us

via Netflix

When They See Us is one of the top-rated true crime dramas of all time. It is based on the true story of the so-called “Central Park Five”, when in 1989 a jogger was assaulted and raped in New York’s Central Park. Five black teens were subsequently charged with the crime. They maintained their innocence and said they’d been wrongly accused, and the case ignited existing tensions in the city regarding racial bias of the police force.

Mindhunter – 97 per cent

via Netflix

Mindhunter is a thriller series featuring lots of different true crime stories. The show is based in the interview room with FBI agents, Holden Ford and Bill Tench. They attempt to understand and catch serial killers by studying their damaged psyches. Along the way, the agents pioneer the development of modern serial-killer profiling. 

Unbelievable – 98 per cent

The best true crime dramas on Netflix, Unbelievable

via Netflix

As it stands, Unbelievable is the highest rated and best of all the true crime dramas on Netflix, scoring just short of a perfect 100 per cent. It’s based on the true story of Marie Adler, a teenager who told police she was raped, but later said it had all been a lie. After saying she had made the story up, Adler was charged with gross misdemeanour and faced prison herself. She said she lied after being forced to go over her horrific story over and over with police who constantly doubted her.

For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.