nus-antisemitism-investigation

Investigation into claims of antisemitism at the NUS starts on Monday

This comes after the government cut ties with the union over these allegations

An independent investigation into claims of antisemitism within The National Union of Students (NUS) will begin on Monday.

It will be led by Rebecca Tuck QC, who the NUS said they appointed while working closely with the Union of Jewish Students (UJS).

The NUS said the investigation will “centre the voices of the students we are here to serve” and “look at recent allegations as well as historic matters and broader culture.”

This follows the government “disengaging” with the union over what education minister Nadhim Zahawi described as “systemic antisemitism.”

The NUS recently invitied rapper Lowkey, who has a history of making allegedly antisemitic remarks, to its annual conference. Incoming president Shaima Dallali has also come under fire from Jewish students for a historical tweet that referenced a massacre of Jews, and was videoed “harassing” people outside an event hosting a former Israeli politician.

These events, among others, led to the union being cut from governmental representation and funding until “substantive action” against these allegations.

Higher and Further Education Minister Michelle Donelan said at the time: “I am horrified by the thought of Jewish students feeling ostracised by an organisation which should be a voice for their community and an advocate of equality for all students.

“Although this was a decision that the Department did not take lightly, we have been clear that antisemitism must be stamped out of the sector and are treating these allegations with the utmost seriousness.

“We need decisive and effective action in response to these repeated allegations of antisemitic behaviour.”

The NUS Board said after announcing the investigation: “We are rightly opening our doors to scrutiny and are prepared to be accountable, to listen, and to take any and all restorative actions that are needed.

“Jewish students are our members and we’re deeply concerned about the hurt and pain being expressed. There is no place for antisemitism within NUS because Jewish students have the right to feel safe and welcome in every corner of our movement.”

The UJS said about the investigation: “We are pleased to see NUS treating the early stages of these investigations with due sensitivity and diligence.

“Our members from all political affiliations and religious denominations have raised their voices.

“NUS are listening and engaging with UJS and Jewish students and we hope this will continue throughout the investigations.”

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Explained: What led up to the government ‘disengaging’ with the NUS and what happens next

• Jewish students slam incoming NUS president for ‘attacking the Jewish community’

• Palestine societies at 23 unis are ‘outraged’ by the ‘harassment’ of the new NUS president