The Halston family has ripped into ‘inaccurate’ Netflix series about the designer’s life

In a statement the family said they were not consulted about the new show

The real Halston family has released a statement about the new Netflix series, saying it’s “inaccurate” and “sensationalised” and claim they were not consulted by Netflix before the show was produced.

The five-part series, simply called “Halston”, is created by Ryan Murphy and stars Ewan McGregor as the late fashion designer, Roy Halston Frowick. It follows his rise to fame in 1970s New York and his high-flying life amongst the rich and famous. It shows Halston’s lavish lifestyle of splashing cash, partying, sex and drugs. At the height of his fame, Halston lost control of his spending, lifestyle, and most importantly – his fashion house.

In a statement released ahead of the show going on Netflix, the Halston family called the series “inaccurate and fictionalised” and also said that it is “overinflated” and “sensational”. The statement added that nobody from the family was consulted about the show.

Halston, Netflix, drama, series, Roy Halston Frowick

via Netflix

The statement reads: “The HALSTON Archives and Family were not consulted on the upcoming Netflix series involving an inaccurate, fictionalised account of famed fashion designer. The HALSTON Archives remains the only definitive and comprehensive source on the man and his legacy as the personally appointed custodian of his private papers and effects.”

Lesley Frowick, the designer’s niece and the founder and director of the Halston Personal Archives, added: “[I] was unaware [of the show] until the project was near completion and the promotional activity started.

“These people who didn’t know him well, perhaps because they were mere children during the Halston apogee, often like to focus on the most sensational parts of the story. Those details tend to be overinflated rather than placing the rightful emphasis on his incredible gift as an artist, the depth of his contribution to American fashion, his work ethic and his success as one of the first true American fashion influencers. In actuality, our uncle Halston was a very private, dignified gentleman, and it is my hope that he will be remembered and respected as such.”

Halston is available on Netflix from May 14th. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.