Netflix true crime series about one of the most infamous serial killers drops next week

The Sons of Sam: A Descent into Darkness examines the crimes of David Berkowitz

Next week, Netflix is set to release another gripping true crime documentary series called The Sons of Sam: A Descent into Darkness. The four-part documentary series tells the story of David Berkowitz, a serial killer in New York who was on the loose for over a year.

After Berkowitz was caught, the city thought the case was over and they could sleep at night again. But, it was really only just beginning – the evidence didn’t all add up and Berkowitz then admitted he wasn’t alone in committing his crimes. Next thing police were on the heels of a potentially murderous cult.

Here’s everything you need to know about the true crime documentary, ahead of its release next week.

The Sons of Sam: A Descent into Darkness, Netflix, true crime, documentary, series, release, David Berkowitz, serial killer

via Netflix

The Sons of Sam: A Descent into Darkness looks at the crimes of serial killer David Berkowitz

David Richard Berkowitz is one of the most notorious serial killers in American history and the hunt for the killer, who became known as the “Son of Sam” captivated the world in the late 1970s. Berkowitz pleaded guilty to eight separate shooting attacks that began in New York City during the summer of 1976.

While the arrest and conviction of David Berkowitz brought the nightmare to an end for many New Yorkers, for journalist and Ultimate Evil author Maury Terry, the real mystery was just beginning. Terry was convinced Berkowitz had not acted alone, and would go on to spend decades attempting to prove that the web of darkness behind the murders went deeper than anyone imagined.

via Netflix

Berkowitz himself admitted he was part of a satanic cult, but to this day he remains the only person charged in the case. The Netflix documentary will look back and the case, and the claims he did not act alone. The series will use archival news footage, conversations with the people closest to the investigation, and Terry’s own words and case files to tell a cautionary tale of a man who went down a rabbit hole and never came out. So, are the true Sons of Sam still out there?

Watch the trailer for The Sons of Sam: A Descent into Darkness on Netflix here:

The Sons of Sam: A Descent into Darkness will be available on Netflix from May 5th. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.