Students’ return to campus ‘might be delayed’ until September, Boris Johnson admits

He said ‘we’re going to do our best to make it up to you’, without actually announcing anything new

Students could be stopped from returning to campus until September, Boris Johnson has admitted.

The government will decide during the Easter holidays whether students will be allowed back for the summer term or kept away until the next academic year, the PM said in a video message to students.

Responding to a question asking what the government is doing for students, Johnson expressed sympathy with students, said “we are going to do our best to make it up to you”, but stopped short of announcing any new measures.

While some students on practical courses have returned, most students are still not allowed to return to their uni towns and cities after being sent home at the end of last term.

Universities Michelle Donelan told The Tab last month that the government aimed to allow students back by 8th March – a plan which has since fallen by the wayside.

Those currently at uni will be allowed to see their families over Easter – but government guidance updated to allow this also urged students not to do so.

“We’re also going to be looking at Easter at whether or not students can come back in May for the Summer term or if we have to delay things until September,” Johnson said.

“But I just want all students to know that you have done an amazing job. I’m sorry that your experience of university life hasn’t been what you expected and we’re going to do our best to make it up to you.”