Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix: Who was Jennifer Fairgate and what happened to her?

There are lots of theories the Netflix episode didn’t mention

Episode two of Unsolved Mysteries on Netflix tells the strange story of Jennifer Fairgate – a case which has so many theories surrounding it, yet so little answers.

The body of “Jennifer Fairgate” was found in 1995, in room 2805 of the Oslo Plaza Hotel with a bullet wound to the head. At first it was thought to be a suicide, but it was soon found out that it could have been more sinister, and that Jennifer Fairgate wasn’t even a real identity. She had checked in with no ID, and no identification or toiletries were found in her room. The room had been double locked from the inside, and there were no initial signs of a struggle.

Here are all the theories about who Jennifer Fairgate may have been and what happened to her, subject of episode two of Unsolved Mysteries volume two, A Death in Oslo.

Jennifer Fairgate, theories, who is, what happened, case, Unsolved Mysteries, volume two, A Death In Oslo, case, murder, suicide, latest

via Netflix

Before the other theories even began, it was thought Jennifer Fairgate had taken her own life

When Jennifer Fairgate was found in the hotel room, the gun was in her hands and she was laying on the bed – which made it look like she had died by suicide. There was no evidence of anyone else having been in the room, no other fingerprints found and the hotel could track how many times the room was entered – and there was very little movement into the room.

Another of the theories is that Jennifer Fairgate was murdered by whoever ‘Lois Fairgate’ was

via Netflix

Upon check in, Jennifer Fairgate arrived with someone who was said to be “Lois Fairgate” on the registration card. People have said he was acting strange, and nobody has ever tracked him down since either. Other than at check in, it doesn’t seem as though Louis Fairgate came back to the hotel at all – and he also didn’t provide any ID.

Despite there being no sign of a struggle, it could still have been a murder. Her grip on the weapon was said to have been unusual, and would have lead to the weapon flying out of her hands after firing – but it was found in her hand. There were also no blood spots on her hand, which an investigator said he had “never” come across in suicide cases. On the Netflix documentary Unsolved Mysteries, the investigator says he believes someone else was in the room, and she may have been drugged. The toxicology test after her death only checked for alcohol in her system.

Jennifer Fairgate, theories, who is, what happened, case, Unsolved Mysteries, volume two, A Death In Oslo, case, murder, suicide, latest, evidence, photo

via Netflix

She was killed by ‘Mr F’

Reddit sleuths have found a man they have called “the suspicious Mr F” who was checked into the hotel at the same time as Jennifer Fairgate – and one of the theories is that he was involved. He was a Belgian man who was staying in the room next door the night Fairgate died.

He claimed to have heard nothing the night of the incident, and said he found out about the death from the front desk on Saturday morning – but the body wasn’t even discovered until the Saturday night. He was never interviewed by police.

via Netflix

She was a sex worker or involved in the drugs trade, and that somehow ended up in her death

It was also believed Jennifer Fairgate may have been a high-end escort or involved in the drugs trade, and this ended in her being killed. Investigators wanted to know why she would have a gun, and so many bullets in her briefcase, in the first place. These could be possible explanations for that.

A strong theory is that Jennifer Fairgate was a spy who was assassinated

One of the main theories is that Jennifer Fairgate was in fact part of an intelligence operation and her death was an assassination. This would explain why she gave a fake identity and address when checking in, and didn’t have any ID in the room. The hotel in Oslo was known for holding big political meetings – which may also explain why a spy would have wanted to stay there.

There are also some pieces of evidence found in the room which lean towards this theory. The identification number on the gun used was said to be have been professionally removed, how intelligence would know how to do to avoid tracking. As well as this, all the labels had been removed from her clothing in the room, which investigators say is also common practice for intelligence – as it’s another form of tracking. Jennifer Fairgate also spent very little time in the room, and entered the room very few times – it’s highly common for spies to have a second hotel or base to go to if anything goes wrong.

via Netflix

The murderer was staying in room 2816

Another interesting theory is that the killer was actually another guest at the hotel. Reddit sleuths on the case say that amongst the items found on the desk in the hotel room, was a plastic newspaper bag containing an edition of USA Today. The bag was addressed to room 2816, located on the opposite end of the hallway from room 2805 – where Fairgate was staying. The investigators reportedly found a fingerprint on the bag, which they were unable to identify at the time. A request for an international search was recently submitted through Interpol.

One of the more out there theories is that Jennifer Fairgate is actually the missing wife of Italian mobster Leoluca Bagarella

One theory is that Jennifer Fairgate could be the missing wife of Leoluca Bagarella. She allegedly went missing when her husband was arrested, following it becoming clear that her brother had given the police information which led to the arrest. Obviously, this meant she had annoyed a lot of people in high mafia places – which people believe could have been the reason for her murder. But there’s no concrete evidence to support these thoughts.

via Netflix

Theories aside, the case of Jennifer Fairgate could have just been a random attack

With any unsolved case, nothing can be ruled out. It’s highly unlikely given the evidence, nature of the crime and patterns of people entering the room – but there is still a small possibility that this case could have been a random attack.

If you have any information about or tips regarding any of the cases in the Unsolved Mysteries series, you can submit them via the Unsolved website. 

Volume two of Unsolved Mysteries are available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.