These are the biggest age gaps between Netflix characters and actors who play them

There are people playing characters literally half their age

In Netflix teen dramas it’s always a shock when you find out the people playing these young teens at school are actually a lot lot older. It’s like Netflix has some sort of formula where you take a 30-year-old, cast them as a 16-year-old, put them in a baseball jacket and Vans and hope nobody notices. But we do notice – Netflix age gaps are real.

Here are some of the biggest age gaps between actors and the teen characters they are cast as on Netflix. Prepare to have your mind blown.

Nicola Coughlan – Penelope Featherington

Bridgerton, ages, age gaps, age, how old, cast, characters, real life, gap, actors, Netflix, Nicola Coughlan, Penelope Featherington

via Netflix

Age gap: 17 years

Everyone’s favourite Featherington sister is played by Derry Girls star Nicola Coughlan. In real life actress Nicola was 34 when she played Penelope in season one. Penelope’s age in Bridgerton then was 17, making her exactly 17 years younger than Nicola who plays her.

Timothy Granaderos – Monty

Netflix, age, ages, gaps, differences, cast, characters, teen, real life, show, 13 Reasons Why

via Netflix

Age gap: 15 years

Timothy Granderos plays Monty, who is currently 18-years-old in 13 Reasons Why. In real life, Timothy was 33-years-old when he played him – nearly double the age of his on-screen character.

Claudia Jessie – Eloise Bridgerton

Claudia Jessie, Eloise Bridgerton

via Netflix

Age gap: 14 years

Claudia Jessie plays the icon that is Eloise Bridgerton. She was born in Birmingham in October 1989, making her 31 in real life when season one came out. Eloise is much younger than Claudia, at just 17-years-old. This means there is a 14 year age gap between the actor and character.

Chelsea Alden – Mackenzie

via Netflix

Age gap: 14 years

Chelsea Alden plays 18-year-old Mackenzie in 13 Reasons Why, and was 32 herself when she was in the role.

Dino Petrera – Jonah

via Netflix

Age gap: 14 years

In Never Have I Ever, Jonah is 15-years-old. The actor who plays him, Dino Petrera, was actually 29 when season one came out!! He was born in 1991!! I can’t believe it?!

Ashleigh Murray – Josie McCoy

Netflix, age, ages, gaps, differences, cast, characters, teen, real life, show, Riverdale

via Netflix

Age gap: 13 years

Ashleigh was 28 when she started playing 15-year-old Josie in Riverdale.

Darren Barnet – Paxton Hall Yoshida

Netflix, age, ages, gaps, differences, cast, characters, teen, real life, show, Never Have I Ever

via Netflix

Age gap: 13 years

Darren Barnet plays Paxton in Never Have I Ever. In the show, Paxton is 16-years-old. But Darren Barnet, who plays him, was actually 29 when season one came out. He was born in April 1991. Wow, just wow.

Meganne Young – Rachel

Rachel, Meganne Young, Netflix, age gaps

via Netflix

Age gap: 13 years

Meganne Young plays Rachel in The Kissing Booth. She is the eldest of all the teens in the main cast of The Kissing Booth 2. She was born on March 22nd 1990 in South Africa. This makes her around 13 years older than her character in the film.

Ross Butler – Zach Dempsey

via Netflix

Age gap: 12 years

Ross Butler was 30-years-old in real life when 13 Reasons Why was filmed. He plays Zach, who is 18-years-old on the show.

Chase Stokes – John B

Netflix, age, ages, gaps, differences, cast, characters, teen, real life, show, Outer Banks

via Netflix

Age gap: 11 years

John B in Outer Banks is around 16-years-old. Chase Stokes, who plays him, was 27 when season one came out.

Ncuti Gatwa – Eric Effiong

via Netflix

Age gap: 11 years

Eric in Sex Education is played by Ncuti Gatwa who was 27-years-old at the time of filming. Eric is meant to be around 16-years-old in the show.

Eliot Salt – Terra

Eliot Salt, Terra

via Netflix

Age gap: 11 years

Eliot Salt has the biggest of the age gaps between actor and character in the teen series Fate: The Winx Saga. Her character Terra is 16 whilst she was 27 when the show aired.

Tanya Reynolds – Lily

Netflix, age, ages, gaps, differences, cast, characters, teen, real life, show, Sex Education

via Netflix

Age gap: 12 years

Tanya Reynolds, who plays Lily in Sex Education, is also one of the eldest members of the cast who play the teen roles. Tanya was born on the 4th November 1991 – so was 28 when the show hit Netflix.

Mason Temple – Hunter

via Netflix

Age gap: 10 years

Mason Temple plays Hunter in Ginny and Georgia, who on screen is a 15-year-old sophomore. In real life, Mason was born on January 17th 1996, meaning there’s a 10 year age gap between him and his character.

Charles Melton – Reggie Mantle

via Netflix

Age gap: 10 years

Charles joined the Riverdale cast in season two to play Reggie, when he was 26.

Tommy Dorfman – Ryan Shaver

via Netflix

Age gap: 10 years

In 13 Reasons Why, Ryan Shaver is 18-years-old. Tommy was born on May 13th 1992 – making him 28-years-old when the show was being filmed.

Taylor Zakhar Perez – Marco

The Kissing Booth 2, cast, ages, how old, Netflix, Marco, Taylor Zakhar Perez

via Netflix

Age gap: 10 years

Taylor Zakhar Perez, who plays heartthrob Marco, was born on Christmas Day in 1991 – making him 28-years-old when The Kissing Booth 2 came out. This means he is over 10 years older than his character. Taylor was born in Chicago and is one of eight siblings.

Sosie Bacon – Skye Miller

via Netflix

Age gap: 10 years

In 13 Reasons Why, Skye is 18. Sosie Miller, who plays her was 28 in real life, at the time.

Christian Navarro – Tony Padilla

via Netflix

Age gap: Nine years

In 13 Reasons Why, Tony Padilla is 19. Christian Navarro was born on August 21st 1991 – making him 28-years-old when he was playing the role.

Cole Sprouse – Jughead Jones

via Netflix

Age gap: Nine years

Cole Sprouse started playing Jughead in Riverdale when he was 24, and they have a nine-year age gap.

Casey Cott – Kevin Keller

via Netflix

Age gap: Nine years

Casey Cott started playing 15-year-old Kevin in Riverdale when he was 24. Casey Cott was born in August 1992.

Vanessa Morgan – Toni Topaz

via Netflix

Age gap: Nine years

Vanessa was 25 when she joined during the second season of Riverdale as Toni Topaz.

Patricia Allison – Ola

via Netflix

Age gap: Nine years

Patricia Allison plays Ola in Sex Education. In real life was born in London in 1994, so was 25 when she played her 16-year-old character.

Aimee-Lou Wood – Aimee Gibbs

via Netflix

Age gap: Nine years

Aimee, who plays 16-year-old Aimee in Sex Education, was 25-years-old in real life when the show came out. She was born on the 2nd November 1995.

Kedar Williams-Stirling – Jackson Marchetti

via Netflix

Age gap: Nine years

Kedar Williams-Stirling plays Jackson in Sex Education. He was 25 in real life at the time, whereas Jackson is around 16.

Elisha Applebaum – Musa

Fate: The Winx Saga, Winx Saga, Netflix, teen, drama, cast, ages, real life, age, how old, Elisha Applebaum, Musa

via Netflix

Age gap: Nine years

Elisha Applebaum plays first year student Musa in Netflix teen drama series Fate: The Winx Saga. Musa is 16 in the show, whilst Elisha was 25.

Midori Francis – Lily

via Netflix

Age gap: Nine years

Midori Francis plays Lily in Dash & Lily. She was 26 when the show came out, and in the show Lily talks a lot about being 17 and struggling with teen life. Midori has a nine year age gap with Lily.

Antonia Gentry – Ginny Miller

via Netflix

Age gap: Eight years

Antonia Gentry plays 15-year-old Ginny Miller in Ginny and Georgia. When season one came out the actress was 23, meaning there is an eight year age gap between her and her character.

Anne Winters – Chloe

via Netflix

Age gap: Eight years

Anne Winters played 18-year-old Chloe in 13 Reasons Why when she was 26.

Miles Heizer – Alex Standall

via Netflix

Age gap: Eight years

Alex is 18 on 13 Reasons Why. Miles was born on May 6th 1994, making him 26-years-old when he played the role.

Justin Prentice – Bryce Walker

via Netflix

Age gap: Eight years

Bryce Walker is 18 in 13 Reasons Why. Justin Prentice, who plays him, was born on March 25th 1994 – making him 26-years-old at the time.

Brandon Flynn – Justin Foley

via Netflix

Age gap: Eight years

Justin Foley is 18-years-old in 13 Reasons Why. Brandon Flynn, who plays him, was born on October 11th 1993 – making him 26-years-old when he was playing the role.

Michele Selene Ang – Courtney Crimsen

via Netflix

Age gap: Eight years

In 13 Reasons Why, Courtney is 18. Michele was born on February 18th 1994 – making her 26-years-old when season one came out.

Joe Keery – Steve Harrington

Netflix, age, ages, gaps, differences, cast, characters, teen, real life, show, Stranger Things

via Netflix

Age gap: Eight years

Joe Keery in real life was 28 when he was last on-screen as Steve. His character Steve in Stranger Things is besties with a 14-year-old, which is a bit weird. Joe was born on April 24th 1992 in Massachusetts.

Drew Starkey – Rafe

via Netflix

Age gap: Eight years

Drew Starkey plays Sarah’s brother, Rafe, in Outer Banks. He has one of the biggest age gaps with his character in the show – Drew Starkey was born in November 1993, and Rafe was 19 in the last season so there’s an eight year difference.

Emma Mackey – Maeve Wiley

via Netflix

Age gap: Eight years

In Sex Education, Emma Mackey plays 16-year-old Maeve. Emma was 24 in real life during season one.

Brandon Larracuente – Jeff Atkins

via Netflix

Age gap: Seven years

Jeff is 18 years old on 13 Reasons Why. He’s played by Brandon Larracuente, who was born on November 16th 1994.

Camillia Mendes – Veronica Lodge

via Netflix

Age gap: Seven years

Camila Mendes started playing 15-year-old Veronica Lodge in Riverdale when she was 22.

Joel Courtney – Lee Flynn

The Kissing Booth 2, cast, ages, how old, Netflix, Joel Courtney, Lee

via Netflix

Age gap: Seven years

Joel Courtney was born on January 31st 1996. He is around seven years older than his character in The Kissing Booth, Lee. Joel was born in Monterey, California and proposed to his long term girlfriend, Mia Scholink, last year.

Charlie Heaton – Jonathan Byres

via Netflix

Age gap: Seven years

Charlie Heaton plays Jonathan in Stranger Things. Charlie is 26 in real life, whereas Jonathan was 18 in the last season of the show. Charlie was born on February 6th 1994 in Bridlington, UK.

Austin North –  Topper

via Netflix

Age gap: Seven years

Austin North plays Topper in Outer Banks, who is 16. Austin North’s during season one was 23.

Ramona Young – Eleanor

via Netflix

Age gap: Seven years

Ramona Young plays 15-year-old Eleanor in Never Have I Ever on Netflix. Ramona Young was born in May 1998, and was 22 during season one.

Asa Butterfield – Otis Milburn

via Netflix

Age gap: Seven years

In Sex Education, Otis is meant to be around 16-years-old. Asa Butterfield, who plays him, was actually 23 at the time.

Connor Swindells – Adam Groff

via Netflix

Age gap: Seven years

In Sex Education, Connor Swindells plays Adam. In real life his was 23-years-old during the show.

Precious Mustapha- Aisha

Fate: The Winx Saga, Winx Saga, Netflix, teen, drama, cast, ages, real life, age, how old, Precious Mustapha, Aisha

via Netflix

Age gap: Seven years

Precious Mustapha plays Aisha, a first year student in Fate: The Winx Saga. Her character is 16, whilst in real life at the time Precious was 23.

Madelyn Clyne – Sarah Cameron

via Netflix

Age gap: Seven years

Madelyn Cline plays Sarah Cameron in Outer Banks. In real life she was born in December 1997, making her 23 when the show was last on. Her character Sarah is 16, so she has a seven year age gap with her.

Thaddea Graham – Bea

via Netflix

Age gap: Seven years

Thaddea Graham plays Bea, the leader and brains behind The Irregulars. She was born in March 1997, so had just had her 24th birthday when the show came out. In the series Bea has just turned 17, so Thaddea is seven years older than her character.

For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.