Looking to watch the Six Nations? Here are the best pubs in York to watch the games

Discounts and rugby? Yes please

The Six Nations 2024 began on Friday 2nd February 2024, when Ireland took on France in the Orange Vélodrome, Marseille, beating them 38-17. Whether you are an avid fan of international rugby or you have never watched a game before, there are several student-friendly pubs in York which are showing every game of the tournament.

On Saturday 3rd February, England beat Italy 27-24 and Scotland narrowly beat Wales 27-26. With the tournament lasting five rounds, it will come to an end on Saturday 16th March, with Wales v Italy, Ireland v Scotland, and France v England.

Here is a selection of the pubs in York where you can keep up with all of the action

1. The Old Bank

As well as being popular for its live music nights, The Old Bank also offers multiple screens to watch all the Six Nations matches, whether you would prefer a booth outside or a seat by the bar.  The Old Bank is open until 1am every night and serves food until 10pm (I would personally recommend the lasagne). If you are looking for student deals in York, there are exclusive offers available at The Old Bank when you have signed up to Uni Crew, including a free welcome drink once you have signed up. Who could say no to that?

2. Yates

If you are looking for a place to watch the Six Nations games which is more of a bar than a cosy pub, Yates may be the perfect place. It is popular with both students and tourists, and is spread across two floors, with live entertainment on certain days each week.  What Yates is arguably best known for is “Holy Cow” from 8am on Wednesdays, which involves offers including selected drinks from only £1. Holy cow indeed.

3. O’Neill’s

O’Neill’s is an original Irish pub located on Low Ousegate, who are also committed to showing every Six Nations game. They offer their own loyalty app which includes a free welcome drink once you have registered. If you fancy making a bigger group booking for one of the matches, they also offer drinks packages, including buckets, shots and a draught pints package.

4. The Old White Swan

Located on Goodramgate, The Old White Swan is one of York’s oldest pubs, dating back to the 16th century. The pub can be found near the Shambles, and they are particularly known for their variety of cask ales and a traditional pub menu. As well as showing every Six Nations match during the tournament, The Old White Swan are also offering new drinks packages, which you can enjoy whilst watching the rugby.

5. The Golden Lion

The Golden Lion is a Greene King pub which is only a one minute walk away from the York Minster, so it is right in the heart of the city centre. The Golden Lion will also be showing all of the BBC and ITV coverage live of the Six Nations tournament, as well as serving food until 8pm each night, such as pub classics, burgers, and Sunday roasts. You can even get 10 per cent off selected drinks with the Greene King Sport app.

6. Tank and Paddle

Located in a former merchants building in the heart of York, Tank and Paddle is another great option for students to catch every game of the Six Nations tournament. Their drinks menu showcases regional brews such as Brew York and Ilkley Pale, as well as a variety of gins, and they also offer a range of food which is served until 10pm. Tank and Paddle also has exclusive Six Nations offers during the tournament, as well as student discounts and offers available through Uni Crew.

So, embrace your inner middle-aged man, gather your friends together and head down to one of these pubs for some cheap drinks, good food, and to watch some truly exciting sports. Or you can go and at least pretend you understand the rules of rugby. It’s up to you.