Here are the top 10 New Year’s Eve events for York students

Here’s how to slay this New Year’s Eve in York, even as a student

If you’re in York for the New Year, this essential guide will prepare you for the countdown to 2024 the right way. From celebrations at the Minster to formal balls, there’s something on offer for every personality to enjoy. In a city as beautiful as York, you really have no excuse not to slay this New Year’s Eve.

1. Dine in style at The Ivy

Hoping to celebrate New Year’s Eve with a cocktail in hand? The Ivy is the perfect place to visit for formal drinks, from champagne to espresso martinis. Not to mention, the mocktail list is almost as long. You can even book a three course meal if you’re looking to go all out, with a set menu that’s sure to impress. The Ivy are set to have showmen and musicians to guarantee a memorable night. Plus, there’s a massive polar bear display outside to make the most of the final festivities this season. Better get booking!

2. Spend midnight at the Minster

If you’re hoping to save money in 2024, you can kickstart your resolutions by counting down to midnight outside York Minster for free. This is a great option to end 2023 in a crowd, while still keeping things fairly low-key. You can also wander around the remaining Christmas lights nearby for an ideal photo backdrop to any end of year dump.

3. Enjoy a cosy pub meal

There’s a reason York is known for its pubs. To get the authentic York experience on New Year’s Eve, there’s few better options than a cosy meal, probably a pint, and some candlelit ambience. From the King’s Arms overlooking the River Ouse to Ye Olde Star Inn on Stonegate, there’s no shortage of independent, traditional spots to try out.

4. Experience New Year’s Eve clubbing

You have to experience clubbing on New Year’s Eve at least once. This is especially suitable if you have friends staying in York over the festive break, with confetti and cocktails to dance your way into 2024. Revs will be selling tickets from £5 this year. Once again, the Revs Christmas tree and fairy lights should provide the perfect photo ops. Alternatively, you could raise a glass to 2024 with bottomless brunch at Revs, but there are plenty of other brunch options in York if this idea appeals to you!

5. Have a chill film night at the Everyman

Ready to start your New Year’s resolutions without a hangover? A trip to the cinema promises a chill, wholesome evening to end the year. Plus, you’re more likely to make it out of bed for a run, the gym, or whatever other activities your January might involve.

6. Throw your own New Year’s Eve party

Another option is to host celebrations from the comfort of your own home in York, whether on campus or off. For a more relaxed night, why not have a film marathon? If you’re fancying something more eventful, it’s time to get Sourz and sparklers at the ready. Your night should rightfully involve some humiliating New Year’s Eve karaoke. (Yes, I’m thinking about that High School Musical scene too.)

7. Celebrate at the Principal York and Thor’s Tipi

The Principal York is a beautiful hotel near the train station with a bar and restaurant, as well as aesthetic, Christmas themed decorations. Conveniently, Thor’s tipi bar is right outside, serving mulled wine, hot chocolate, and more. You could head here to spend the last day of December by the fireside, indoor or out.

8. Attend a formal ball in York assembly rooms

To fully push the boat out, you could even attend a New Year’s Eve ball here in York. Held at the Assembly Rooms, you’ll be greeted with champagne and a live orchestra, followed by a full course dinner. With a traditional Georgian building and chandeliers, it’s really giving Bridgerton. If you want to romanticise New Year’s Eve and are not afraid to splash the cash, this option is for you.

9. Try out some new bars

Did someone say bar crawl? While York is well known for its pubs, there’s also a huge range of bars to check out on December 31st. One of the most popular spots is Dusk. (It’s giving atmospheric, neon lighting and 10/10 martinis.) You could also opt for Evil Eye, a hidden gem on Stonegate with unique interiors and Alchemist-style cocktails.

10. Go for afternoon tea

For a daytime activity this New Year’s Eve, afternoon tea is an excellent choice in York. You could visit Café 21 at Fenwicks for a more luxurious celebration, or head to the Madhatters Tea Room for an authentic afternoon tea experience. And if you’ve not got round to a Betty’s trip yet, where have you been?

Now that you have this list of recommendations to keep you busy, you’re all set to make the most of everything York has on offer at the end of 2023. It’s the ideal time to celebrate and postpone the January blues. Happy New Year!