The next two weeks of strikes at Uni of York have been called off

This is to allow for a ‘period of calm’ after a breakthrough in negotiations

The next two weeks of UCU strikes at The University of York and across the country have been called off.

This is to allow for a “period of calm” following breakthroughs in talks this week over pay, pensions, zero-hour contracts and workloads.

The strikes taking place on Tuesday 21st, Wednesday 22nd and Thursday 23rd February next week and Monday 27th, Tuesday 28th February, Wednesday 1st and Thursday 2nd March the following week will not be going ahead.

The strikes scheduled for after these dates are still planned to take place.

Jo Grady, President of the UCU said: “I am delighted to announce that we have made significant progress in our negotiations with the employers. This progress covers both our pay and pensions disputes. Against that backdrop, we have jointly agreed a two-week period of calm which will enable us to hold intensive negotiations with the aim of delivering a final agreement.”

She continued: “Before going into details of the progress we have made, we want to make it absolutely clear that this is simply a pause. And alongside this, we will be continuing with the campaign to deliver another massive YES vote in the re-ballot.”

On the announcement, York UCU said: “Absolutely nothing is won yet. We are still poorer, overworked and are in a precarious system that is built on inequality. Nothing has changed. We will all wait to see what ‘progress’ looks like.”

Strikes on March 16th, March 17th, March 20th, March 21st, and March 22nd will still go ahead.