Warwick announces completion of outstanding marking from UCU boycott by Christmas

Final module marks expected by January 2024

The University of Warwick has announced that outstanding marks from the UCU boycott will be completed by Christmas.

In an email to the students last Thursday, Adam Child, Academic Registrar for the University of Warwick, announced that departments at the university would be working towards completing outstanding markings from the 2022/23 academic year.

The email read that the university is “now able to confirm that we are working towards any outstanding marking from the 2022/23 academic year being completed by Christmas 2023.”

It mentioned that “in all but exceptional cases” markings will be met by the suggested deadline.

The email also shed light on the process: “formal ratification of the module marks will occur shortly after once the Board of Examiners have met. Final module marks are expected to be available by the end of January 2024.”

“In the exceptional cases where feedback is not available by Christmas, you will receive a separate communication,” the email promised.

The University also affirmed that completing outstanding marking was their “highest priority” and that they “are doing everything we can” to complete the task by the promised deadline.

This follows the announcement in September from the Russel Group university of the withdrawal of the University and Colleges Union’s (UCU) marking and assessment boycott and the beginning of the completion of outstanding marking and feedback.

Beginning on the 20th of April and affecting over 145 universities, the marking and assessment boycott by members of the UCU for better pay and working conditions left many Warwick students without some of their results. In response, Warwick University announced they would award degrees based on existing marks for students graduating in July 2023.

Students were promised that degree classifications would not change unless they improved as a result of higher average year marks confirmed after graduation.

The email has specified that students should wait to hear from individual departments with more information on the process. 

• Warwick student with cancer wins £12,000 payout after university denied extension request

Warwick student jailed after causing ‘horror’ car crash and attempting to flee the UK

Meet team Warwick: We spoke to them on their return to University Challenge after two years