Plymouth Varsity: what’s happening?

Sports editor Joel Watson gives us the breakdown of what to expect throughout Varsity 2014

It’s that time of year again where Plymouth take on Marjon to be crowned Kings and Queens of the south west.

Finally the twelve months of banter between the teams comes to a head, raising money for charity in the process.

This year the charities are Reverse Rett, a foundation raising money for research into Rett syndrome, and CLIC Sargent, which provides support to families affected by cancer in young people. Last year the pot was over £12,000 and they’re hoping to raise even more this time around.

Plymouth are looking to extend their winning streak to three straight years, and will be doing so at some of the biggest venues in the South West, including Brickfields Stadium, home to Plymouth Albion rugby club, and Plymouth Argyle’s Home Park.

Most of the tickets can be picked up online, at the UPSU bars and on the door, with the proceeds going to charity.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJmqaGwmbdA[/youtube]

Here’s the breakdown:

Saturday 15th
Varsity kicks off with swimming at the Life Centre with a shed load of events taking place 20:00-22:00.

British Olympian, Anthony James, is taking part in several events, so turn up and watch one of our hopes for Rio 2016 compete against the likes of British record holder Ben Proud.

Monday 17th
Rugby takes the stage on Monday, with the women’s team kicking off at 18:00 at Albion Rugby Club, and the men’s 1sts taking over at 19:45.

The rugby is always of the most exciting fixtures and with shuttle buses running from the public library for most the evening, there’s no excuse to miss this one!

Men’s rugby 2 – 14:00-16:00 – Brickfields Top Pitch
Mixed Lacrosse – 15:00-17:00 – Marjon Astro

Tuesday 18th
Mixed volleyball – 19:00-21:00 – Marjon sports hall

Wednesday 19th
The basketball rivalry is fiercely contended between Plymouth and Marjon.

This fixture is often the most talked about event from Varsity. Tip-Off at 14:30 in the Marjon Sports hall. Hockey and Lacrosse are other the big stories on Wednesday, taking over the Marjon Astro from 14:00-17:30. Netball rounds off the day’s action from 16:00-18:00 in the Marjon sports hall.

Men’s Football 2 – 14:00-16:00 – Tavistock FC
Men’s Football 3 – 14:00-16:00 – Tavistock FC
Men’s Football 4 – 12:00-14:00 – Tavistock FC

Thursday 20th
Indoor cricket – 18:00-20:00 – Plymouth College
Women’s Waterpolo – 20:30-21:00 – Life Centre Pool

Saturday 22nd
Saturday is Futsal day – Women kick off at 12:00 in the Life Centre sports hall with the men starting at 14:00.

Thursday 27th
Varsity closes with a bang at Plymouth Argyle FC. Women’s football from 17:30-19:00. Men’s 1sts kick off at 19:30-21:00.