Every Nottingham restaurant you need to take your parents when they visit

Every perfect place for a good catchup with your parents

The January exam season has just come to a close and second semester has just got back up and running. For most of you who made your way back to Nottingham mid January, this is a perfect opportunity to have you parents come and visit. I don’t know about anyone else but sometimes you just need to see your parents and there’s nothing better than when your parents come and you get to show off your city.

Sharing a meal together is always a lovely way to catch up and what better way when there are so many amazing places to go in Nottingham? From spots in the city centre, Lenton and even Beeston there are so many cool and quirky places to show your parents when they’re down for a weekend. Hopefully they’ll even pick up the bill for you. Here are all the best places in Nottingham to take your parents when they come visit you:

The Angel Microbrewery

The Angel is a microbrewery located in the lace market area of the city centre towards the Motorpoint arena. Alongside its variety of quirky beers and lagers, the Angel offers a good menu for a nice meal out with the parents. After personally trying their pulled pork tacos, I can recommend eating here in good confidence, it’s the perfect place for a relaxed evening or a cosy Sunday lunch before waving goodbye and returning to regularly scheduled uni life and food.

31K

31K is one of the more original restaurants in Nottingham, the unique menu of being able to curate your own main meal from a selection of mains, sauce, spuds, and greens, which is great if you are picky about certain foods. As well as this they offer a great brunch menu for those early Sunday mornings before a drive back home for the family after a nice weekend of some quality time.

Mesa

Mesa has something for everyone, the twist on tapas-style food but with burgers, octopus, duck, and many more. The special wood-fired cooking makes a great place to take your parents when they come to Nottingham for some of the iconic student culture known across the city. Whilst it may be a little more on the expensive side, it has an amazing atmosphere and good vibes for when you inevitably tell your parents you may have partied a bit too hard this year.

Waters Edge

For some of the local Lenton culture, Waters Edge is a frequented pub by many students in Nottingham for a drink or a nice meal out. This is why it makes a great place to take your parents when they visit for a day or two. With your standard pub classics like fish and chips, and burgers, there is no way your parents would be unhappy if this is the chosen spot for the designated Nottingham meal out where you get a substantial meal that doesn’t consist of your housemates’ stolen food.

Bendigo Lounge

Bendigo is the perfect place to take the parents, especially for UoN students in halls. I have fond memories of taking my parents to the equivalent at home, so when I found Bendigo Lounge in Beeston, it seemed like the perfect place for a little part of home. With a great selection of tapas and mains, Bendigo can work for both lunch and dinner and is great value for money with deals like free desserts on Mondays with any main after 5 pm.

Fat Hippo

If you are interested in mouth-watering burgers, Fat Hippo is potentially the best you can do. The burgers are impeccable and they have both vegan and vegetarian options if that is something you are interested in. An honourable mention goes to the Little White Buffalo burger on their lunch menu, which is slightly smaller portions than their dinner menu, it really hits the spot and I can’t imagine anyone’s parents not being happy with an outing to this restaurant.

Coco Tang

Whilst Coco Tang is known for its amazing cocktails, it is also popular for its incredible menu and variety of food. It is not only a restaurant but also a cafe, in case you want to get a coffee that students are notorious for spending our student loans on and get some of the fresh sweet treats that look mouthwateringly good. Their Asian menu is enough to entice any parents to stay for a meal.

Mooch

A final one, and this is aimed at the freshers, showing your parents around campus can be a long and draining day. Especially with all those hills. So why not stop in the middle for some of the University of Nottingham’s finest cuisine? Whilst it has fond memories of being the start of society bar crawls, and welcome drinks during freshers, Mooch doubles as a great place to take the parents that is both easy and affordable. Plus you can use whatever’s left on your meal card.

You can even pop into Portland Coffee to get something sweet to end the day on – after all you have to show off how amazing campus really is.

A comprehensive list of all the best places in Nottingham for a first date

• 10 Top tips to avoid burnout as a Notts student

• Six ways you can achieve a balanced life as a Notts student