‘The players are just so big’ – Freshers witness defeat for rugby

Rosslyn Park RFC were just a little too strong for Lufbra this weekend, running out 36-27 victors in a fine game of expansive rugby in front of a bumper crowd on the opening weekend of term.

| UPDATED freshers national one rugby

The first XV pitch sidelines were packed with spectators, with some such as James nursing his “Friday Night Disco Hangover” and others trying to find something to fill their day before heading to one of Lufbra’s late night attractions that evening.

Not everyone wanted to be there though with one girl explaining that, “I only came because my friends wanted me to.”

Others showed more interested, with Ben telling The Epinal that “it was awesome to be able to watch such a high standard of rugby at university.”

Saturday’s game was the first for many freshers.

Lufbra began well as Jack Pons went over for the first of his two tries, however, Rosslyn Park quickly hit back through Joe Ajuwa to level the affair at 5-5.

Neither side struggled for opportunities to score as the visitors went into the interval with a narrow three point lead at 18-15.

Both sides again exchanged points after the break but as the second half wore on, Rosslyn Park asserted more authority over the home side and extended their lead to 36-20 as the game went into the final moments.

Henry Taylor, England U20 Scrum-Half and Junior Rugby World Cup winner.

The impressive Jack Pons added his second of the game in the dying moments, leading one fresher to exclaim, “The players are just so big.”

However, it was a little too late for Lufbra as promotion hopefuls Rosslyn Park recorded an impressive win.