Calling all Lancs students: Here are the best activities to do for Mother’s Day

This is your friendly reminder that Mother’s Day is on the 19th March, so don’t forget to her buy chocolate and flowers x

Mother’s Day is fast approaching and many of us will get to spend some quality time with our Mums, showing them how much we appreciate all that they do for us. If your Mum is travelling up to Lancaster you may decide to do some fun activities together in the city and for this there is plenty of options of where to take her.

Mother’s Day Brunch

You could take your mum out for brunch on Mother’s Day. Lots of Mums love a brunch and there are various independent cafes in Lancaster that are sure to impress your Mum. You could try Brew, they do a great brunch menu and I would definitely recommend their Cinnamon French toast. It’s a lovely, small cafe and if the weather’s nice, you could even sit outside in their outdoor seating round the back.

There are plenty more options for Brunch in Lancaster, including Journey Social, Whale Tail (a vegetarian cafe), and The Deli on campus. Any of these would please a Mum who loves a brunch and get you in her good books for the year.

Garden centre trip

Most Mums love a good trip to the garden centre. Whether it be browsing the outdoor section, the home section or having coffee and a slice of cake at the cafe, Lancaster has it. Ashton Hall Garden Centre is perfect for a day out on Mother’s Day. It has a nice selection of gardening equipment, flowers and plants to inspire your Mum’s next garden renovation. The centre has a cafe, Pear Tree, that does cakes, cream teas, and sandwiches. This is sure to impress the gardening Mums and let them enjoy an afternoon of browsing garden furniture.

Pottery cafe date

If you and your Mum are the creative types, you would love PottyRoo Ceramics in Morecambe. It’s such a fun activity to do in the Mother’s Day period. They are open on Wednesdays, Fridays, and Saturdays and it is recommended to book prior to your visit. There are lots of ceramics to choose from including frogs, llamas, plates, egg cups, and mugs. The price depends on what you choose to paint. Release your inner child and get creative for an hour. If you painted something for your arty Mum I’m sure you’d get extra brownie points.

Go for a walk

My Mum loves going for walks and discovering the local area. Being so close to the Lakes, we are blessed in Lancaster to have some nice views that would be perfect to spend some quality time exploring if your mum is the active type. You could walk along the Lune Valley, starting from Crook O’Lune and walking along the river, passing The Three Bridges (the Crook O’Lune bridge, the former railway bridge and the Waterworks bridge). You could wander around the Forest of Bowland, seeing Birk Bank and walking up Baines Crag in Quernmore. You can find a map of any of these walks online. This would be great for an outdoorsy Mum who would like to do something a little different on Mother’s Day.

Have a meal out

There an abundance of places to eat out in Lancaster to celebrate Mother’s Day. Some of my favourites include the Water Witch, the Boot and Shoe, and Gallico Lounge. The Water Witch is by the canal and is a cosy pub restaurant with great food. If your Mum is a fan of gin, they have an impressive collection, including my personal favourite, Parma Violet gin.

The Boot and Shoe is closer to campus and serves good food and drinks, providing all the pub restaurant classics such as lasagne, fish and chips, and steak. Gallico Lounge would be very popular with my mum, simply for the colourful vibes inside – there are paintings and all the walls seem to be decorated differently. There is a variety of food, with the opportunity to try something new. Any of these would be a perfect end to a lovely Mother’s Day.

Related articles recommended by this writer: