Lancaster Uni engineering building closed for an ‘indeterminate amount of time’ following fire

‘Smoke deposits have been found in various locations around the building and require further investigation’

Lancaster University has confirmed that a fire broke out in the engineering building on Wednesday 8th March.

The building is now closed with no date set to reopen.

Fire and Rescue services were seen attending the scene.

A witness to the incident saw evacuations taking place at approximately 12pm, with fire engines stationed outside the building.

In an email sent to students, the engineering department confirmed that no injuries occurred, and damage to equipment has been minimal.

The engineering department stated that: “smoke deposits have been found in various locations around the building and require further investigation in order to effect a deep clean.

“In order to allow for this to happen, the building will need to be closed an as yet indeterminate amount of time.”

Students who have lectures, tutorials, workshops, or labs taking place in the engineering building have been informed that these will still take place, and any concerns should be emailed to the teaching office.

Related articles recommended by this writer: