How to have a sober night out in Kingston

Tips for enjoying a sober night without wanting to go home

Ama-gi Chic-o-land Hippodrome Kingston Kingston students Pryzm sober night out

Students have all had to go on a dreaded sober night out. Whether it’s antibiotics or lack of funds, sober nights out are something that are bound to happen to students at least once.

But don’t worry, here are some tips that will help you struggle through your night of Jagerbomb-free frivolity!

1. Savour the thought that your hair and make up won’t get ruined.

Let’s be honest, there’s nothing worse than spending hours getting ready for your big night out, while knowing full well that within minutes of stepping through the door of your favourite club, you’ll have vodka down your top, and lipstick all over your chin. That won’t be a problem when you’re sober, win!

Imagine looking this good after the pre-drinks!

2. Get some caffeine in you. Seriously.

Dancing the night away is easy enough when you’re hammered. But sober? Not so much. Buy some pro-plus, red bull, whatever you can get your hands on! Trust me, you’ll need it when it’s 2am and your friends don’t want to go home yet.

3. Wear your biggest, baddest heels safe in the knowledge you won’t fall over in the middle of the dancefloor.

You’ll look fabulous all night and won’t even have to worry about waking up with unexplainable bruises. Result!

Or a onsie…

4. Take as many photos as you can. 

You’ll love looking through them over breakfast the next day, and your friends will (maybe) thank you for capturing their best dance moves on film. You’ll also probably be able to use them as blackmail at some point; see how much you can get out of your friends for not putting photos of them and their drunk pull all over Facebook.

5. Thank yourself in the morning for not getting a greasy post-Hippodrome Chic-o-land.

Have you ever woken up in the morning and found the remnants of last nights dirty chicken somewhere in the house? That won’t happen if your sober, hooray!

6. Try not to turn into your friend’s Mum!

I’m not saying don’t look after them; sometimes when you’ve had too many you need a firm hand. I’m just saying don’t overdo it. She wants an extra jagerbomb? Fine. He wants to dance on the podium like his Dad? Go for it. Let the good times roll!

Bananadrama

Bananadrama

7. Last, and probably most importantly: don’t go to Bacchus.

I made the mistake of going to Bacchus sober and I don’t think I can ever look at it in the same way again. I’ve seen things. Terrible things. I say this for your own good. Stick to Hippodrome or Pryzm; Ama-gi is probably pushing it a bit.