The SU to host an Edinburgh Fringe-style festival

It starts in University House

In the spirit of the City of Culture celebrations, the Students’ Union has decided to host a festival of small lunchtime performances inspired by the world-famous Edinburgh Fringe Festival.

The festival in Scotland’s capital has become a powerhouse of artistic and theatrical expression, showcasing a huge array of variety acts ranging from small comedy nights to full-scale runs of Shakespeare’s finest works.

Hull Fringe Fest will take place in a specially placed pop-up performance zone within the Students’ Union. Lunchtime performances will take place every day until the 24th of February. Students will be able to see a number of performances from societies such as Swing dance and Barbershop Society as well as variety acts such as “Scientific Magic”.

HUU VP Activities, Amy Jackson has said: “The idea is to give students the opportunity to become involved with City of Culture”. This comes as a response to the fact that many students have not been able to become official volunteers for the year-long event.”

The acts will have a street performance feel which imitates Edinburgh’s famous Royal Mile. During the Fringe Festival this transforms into a haven of magicians, acapella groups and young performers, advertising a wide plethora of shows through impromptu performance and relentless leafleting.  

This small variety festival will allow societies and individual students to showcase their talents to the wider student population. President of Crystal Clear DJ Society, Sean Cresswell told Hull Daily Mail: “We have our events on a Friday night so it is great for us to come in here during the day to let people know what it is we do. 

“We have some decks and can play for people as they’re passing through. We want people to get involved and realise how much is here for them to do.”

The events will be held daily in University House between 12:00-14:00 as a partnership with Hull 2017 for the university of Hull’s principal partner events programme.

University of Hull