Five days of strikes confirmed to take place at the University of Glasgow in September

Whilst the marking and assessment boycott has been withdrawn by the UCU, other forms of strikes will continue

UCU announced that 140 universities, including the University of Glasgow, will strike in September in an ongoing dispute over pay and work conditions.

On Wednesday 6th of September, UCU ended the marking and assessment boycott which has been ongoing since 20th April 2023, calling for five more strike days alongside this end.

The University College Union said: “UCU has now withdrawn its marking and assessment boycott… Staff are continuing other forms of industrial action, including working to rule, not undertaking any voluntary activities, and not rescheduling lectures or classes cancelled due to strike action.”

Strike days for the University of Glasgow will see majority of students’ first days back this academic year being affected, with Monday 18th September and Tuesday 19th September being the first of the five strike days.

In the following week, staff will also strike Tuesday 26th September, Wednesday 27th September, and Thursday 28th September.

Students are frustrated that strikes continue to mar their university experience. Ilana, a postgraduate student studying global health, told The Tab: “The thought of any more striking is really daunting. I 100 per cent stand with the union and support any member of staff who feel like they need to strike, however, I just wish the university would do more to prevent these strikes from happening.”

In a university-wide email, the University of Glasgow confirmed to students this afternoon that “any outstanding marking will now be progressed”, but neglected to inform students yet of how or when this will happen.

The University of Glasgow has been contacted for comment.