New train station to open in Cathays in 2024 with direct access to Cardiff Bay

The station is part of Cardiff’s new Metro transport scheme

A new train station is on track to open in Cathays in 2024.

Cardiff Council has approved for the new station to be on Crwys Road, between Cardiff Queen Street and Heath High Level where it will be served by brand new, environmentally-friendly trains as part of Cardiff’s Metro scheme.

The Metro project, which is well underway for an estimated 2024 completion, will be a major integrated transport network consisting of train, tram and enhanced bus services.

Crwys Road will eventually be served by trains running every 10 to 15 minutes between Rhymney and Bargoed via Caerphilly to the north, and Central Cardiff, Barry and Penarth to the south. These trains have already begun to enter service and will run predominantly on electricity rather than diesel which suggests a quieter, less disruptive sound for local students as they pass the many student houses near the tracks.

Crwys Road’s almost 90 metre platforms, complete with lift access, will runs alongside Daviot Close, Moy Road, Norman Street and Alexander Street. Three bicycle hoops will also be provided for the east platform, according to WalesOnline.

However, this isn’t the only transport enhancement to be made for students living in Cathays. The current Cathays railway station which is on a different line to Crwys Road, is also set to receive a major upgrade to service frequency, but will be converted to a tram-train stop.

Half of the new services from Cathays will run directly to Cardiff Bay so there will no longer be a need to change at Queen Street.

Yet, there have been varied opinions on the upgrades to transport as part of the Metro scheme.

Chloë, a second-year sports science student at Cardiff Met said: “At last. I’ve been wishing we had a new station near to our house.

“The current Cathays station is only of use to those living right by the SU, whereas we live at the other end of the town closer to Heath so now I won’t need to pay for an Uber to Cardiff Central when I travel home.”

Another student, Adam added: “Parking is difficult enough as it is in Cathays, even with a permit. Having a train station down the road will make it impossible to find a space.”

In light of residents’ concerns, Transport for Wales has spoken of their intention to keep noise and disruption as low as possible, adding that while overhead line piling works can be noisy, it should only take between 20 and 60 minutes at a time. It also noted that where possible, generators will be placed away from people’s homes.