Cardiff Met grad dies in hospital after experiencing cold and flu-like symptoms

Bethannie Booth gave her family instructions for her funeral and sent goodbye messages before she died

A Cardiff Metropolitan University grad has died in hospital after being admitted with cold and flu-like symptoms.

24-year-old Bethannie Booth contacted NHS 111 after she began feeling unwell at the beginning of March this year with a sore throat and headache where she was advised her symptoms of red bumps on her face were most likely to be acne.

After her symptoms worsened just days later, she contacted the service again and was rushed to Royal Glamorgan Hospital with breathing issues, WalesOnline reports.

The primary school worker from Merthyr Tydfil was initially admitted to resuscitation and then intensive care where it was discovered her lung had collapsed due to a Strep A infection.

Bethannie then developed sepsis as a result of the infection and was put into an induced coma before being transferred to Guy’s Hospital in London. She spent two and a half weeks on an ecmo, a machine which breathes for a patient, before undergoing surgery after she developed a hole in her lung.

Before being induced, Bethannie sent goodbye messages to all her loved ones, as well as texting her older sister Nia-Ffion detailed instructions for her funeral, as she believed she would die soon.

Her text message to her mother, Leanne, read: “Mammy don’t worry I will be fine I promise, I love you so much Mam.” She also texted her dad, Wayne, saying: “Fat boy don’t worry, I will see you on the other side”, endearingly addressing him by his nickname.

Bethannie was transferred back to Wales after making good progress on the ecmo. However, five days later the sepsis returned and Bethannie died on 31st March surrounded by her dad and sisters after spending five weeks in hospital.

Speaking to WalesOnline following the loss of his daughter, Bethannie’s dad Wayne said: “I have only one way I can explain Beth – imagine the best female has got the biggest angel wings, who would do anything for anyone, from a man living on the streets to a man in a mansion. They say the best get taken from us first – God needs his angels. It has ripped us all apart.”

Her mother Leanne said: “She’s a character but she’s the best friend you could ever have.”

A fundraiser has been set up to help Bethannie’s family with the cost of the funeral. The family express the importance of the public knowing the warning signs of sepsis, and when to seek medical help.

Featured image via GoFundMe.