Cathays delivery driver left with life-threatening injuries after being run over by own van

A man has been charged with attempted murder of the delivery driver after attempting to steal his vehicle

A delivery driver was dragged “half a mile” down busy North Road by his own van when he tried to prevent it from being stolen, a court has heard.

Mark Lang, 54, was believed to be delivering parcels in Cathays when a man allegedly got behind the wheel in an attempt to steal the vehicle.

Mark Lang tried to stop the van from being stolen but in the process was hit and dragged along North Road for 800 yards before the vehicle stopped leaving him with threatening injuries, Wales Online reports.

Witnesses who were at the scene had stepped in to try and help him but to no avail.

South Wales Police were called on Tuesday afternoon to the Cathays area and emergency services took Mark to the University Hospital of Wales in Heath. he had “multiple lacerations across the body” and a brain injury that have left him in a critical condition.

Detective Chief Inspector Matt Powell has said the original call reported a “driver failing to stop at a road traffic collision” which was an assumed pedestrian.

However, it was later revealed that it was a theft in which “the van collided with the owner who has then been carried by the vehicle for a considerable distance until it came to a halt on North Road.”

North Road was closed in both directions on Tuesday whilst investigations took place between the old Stratstone Garage and Cathays High School.

Christopher Elgifari, 31, attended Cardiff Magistrates Court on Friday where he was charged with attempted murder.

Presiding justice, Mark Buckland detailed that the matter was “too serious to be dealt with in the magistrates’ court” and that he is to remain in custody until seen by the Cardiff Crown Court on the 3rd April.

A South Wales Police spokesperson said: “A 54-year-old man remains in a critical condition at the University Hospital of Wales, Cardiff. His family has been updated, and they continue to be supported by specialist officers. Detectives are continuing with witness, house to house and CCTV enquiries. Witnesses or anyone with information is asked to please contact police by one of the following means, quoting occurrence 2300099389.”