Welsh first minister Mark Drakeford’s wife, Clare has passed away suddenly

The prime minister has expressed his ‘deepest condolences’

Clare Drakeford, the wife of Welsh first minister, Mark Drakeford passed away suddenly on Saturday, a spokesperson for the Welsh Government announced.

The Welsh Government announcement said: “It is with deep sadness that we confirm the sudden passing of Clare Drakeford, wife of the first minister. The thoughts of everyone in the Welsh Government are with the family at this time and we ask that their privacy is respected.”

The couple were married for 46 years, with three children, and were residing in Cardiff at the time of Clare’s passing.

Tributes have poured in from politicians across Britain including from the prime minister, Rishi Sunak who sent his “deepest condolences” to the first minister.

Labour leader Keir Starmer also paid tribute to Clare saying: “On behalf of the whole Labour Party, I send our deepest condolences to Mark and all the family.

“I know just how close they were as a couple, and I can only imagine the sense of loss Mark and the whole family are feeling.

“They are all in our thoughts and prayers.”

Nicola Sturgeon, the leader of the Scottish Parliament and the SNP also sent her condolences to Wales’ first minister: “My thoughts are with Mark and his family at this terribly sad time”.

When she and Mrs Drakeford met, she said it was “obvious how strong the bond between her and Mark was”.

“I can only imagine the depth of grief he is feeling. Sending him love and strength.”

On behalf of the Welsh Conservatives, Andrew RT Davies also sent his thoughts and prayers to Mark and his family.

Feature Image Credit: Youtube