We asked a psychologist why everyone is so obsessed with Gypsy Rose Blanchard right now

It comes from a ‘desire to understand the human psyche in extreme circumstances’

Gypsy Rose Blanchard has been out of prison for a week now. In that time, she’s bought new shoes, got a fresh set of lashes and false nails, had a welcome home party and had *a lot* of fun with her husband Ryan.

As well as gaining over 12 million followers on Instagram and TikTok in the space of a week, there are also a number of TV shows, documentaries and films that have been released ,all focusing on Gypsy Rose’s story, earning her a net worth well into the millions already.

Now hailed a queen on the internet, it’s clear that everyone is fully obsessed with her. But, where does this fascination with her story actually come from? After all, it’s very rare for someone imprisoned for murder to become an internet celebrity in this way.

Well, Dannielle Haig is a psychologist who specialises in psychopaths and other maladaptive personalities and she has explained why the world is so obsessed with Gypsy Rose Blanchard now she’s left prison.

We spoke to a psychologist about why everyone is so obsessed with Gypsy Rose Blanchard’s story and this is what they had to say:

Dr Haig said that the fascination with Gypsy Rose comes from “the bizarre and tragic nature of her story, which involved severe child abuse, deception and murder”. The public’s interest in her story was sparked through all the documentaries and TV shows about her.

She said that from a psychological perspective, Gypsy Rose’s case offers “a glimpse into the darker aspects of human nature and societal issues.

“Gypsy’s story, in particular, involves Munchausen syndrome by proxy, a rare form of abuse where a caretaker, typically a parent, feigns or induces illness in their child for attention and sympathy. This rare and extreme form of abuse, combined with the eventual murder of her mother, makes the case captivating and horrifying to many.”

Dr Haig added that the way she’s been treated as a celebrity “can be attributed to the way media sensationalises and dramatises true crime stories, often blurring the lines between victimhood and notoriety.”

“People are drawn to her story not only because of its tragic elements but also due to the ethical and moral dilemmas it presents, such as the debate over her culpability and the justice system’s handling of her case. It’s a complex interplay of psychological intrigue, media portrayal, and societal fascination with crime and punishment that fuels the obsession with her story.”

Psychologist Dr. Deborah Gilman who specialises in children and individuals impacted by trauma added: “There’s a degree of sympathy for her, leading to a fascination with her life post-release. Some individuals might also be drawn to her story due to the sensationalised nature of the case and the fascination with true crime narratives.

“People are interested in her adjustment to freedom, her future plans, and how she is navigating life outside the prison walls.

“The public’s interest in Gypsy Rose Blanchard’s case reflects a mix of curiosity about an unusual and tragic story, ethical and legal complexities, and a desire to understand the human psyche in extreme circumstances.”

For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.