fizzled dating

Being ‘fizzled’ is the new ghosting, here’s what it means and the difference between them

It’s more savage, obviously

Too many of us have fallen victim to ghosting and it actually sucks. But now more and more people are coming forward claiming to be a victim of “fizzling” and are going as far to say it’s worse than ghosting. Surely it can’t be, right? Nothing will ever hurt more than catching feelings for someone and then just dripping from the fact of the earth? Well apparently fizzling is way worse and leaves people feeling massively confused.

Here’s everything we know about what it means to be fizzled and how it’s different to getting ghosted.

What does ‘fizzling’ mean and how is it different to being ghosted?

The best way I can describe it is imagine fizzling as being ghosting a more passive-aggressive older sibling. They’re experienced and calculated. Fizzling happens when the person you’re dating becomes slower and shorter in their replies to you and then all of a sudden they stop responding entirely.

Fizzling is savage, upsetting and aims to leave people feeling mega confused. It’s like having a blindfold on and being spun around on the spot – you’re disorientated and have no clue what’s going on. Whereas you can argue ghosting is more cut throat, it still doesn’t help the fact fizzling is someone tapping out in drips.

Hinge’s love and connection expert, Moe Ari Brown says: “Slowly phasing someone out without offering an explanation can trigger feelings of unworthiness, confusion and self-doubt. If you’re not feeling the connection, remember there’s another human being on the other side of that screen – and they deserve closure.”

So many people say being fizzled or being the one to fizzle is an accident but the victims know that’s not true. It’s half-arsed replies out of guilt and then radio silence out of nowhere. It’s savage and brutal.