Apprentice interviews statement

The Apprentice has defended the interviews episode after complaints it was too ‘nasty’

Two candidates were reduced to tears

Last week’s episode of The Apprentice was the infamous interviews week, the annual episode that puts the final five candidates through their paces with a brutal dressing down from various pals of Lord Sugar. It’s a week known for its harshness and gruelling nature – but this year, in mine and many others opinion, it felt mean spirited and too far. Two of the final five were reduced to tears, for god’s sake. However, after a weekend of complaints, a spokesperson for The Apprentice has defended the interviews in a statement despite the backlash.

A spokesperson for the The Apprentice said on the interviews in a statement: “The interviews round is more than just a normal interview. Its purpose is to help determine whose business plan has the potential to secure the £250k investment.

“As such, every detail must be thoroughly scrutinised and advisors will at times need to ask difficult questions. The stakes are high for candidates and emotions do run high as they want to secure a place in the final.”

This year’s episode saw Karren Brady joined regular interviews stage grillers Linda Plant, Mike Soutar and Claude Littner to reduce Dani and Victoria to tears. In the end, Marnie and Rochelle emerged victorious as the top two of the season and they’ll battle it out for the 250k investment on Thursday’s final episode.

The Apprentice continues at 9pm on Thursdays, on BBC One and iPlayer. For all the latest reality TV news, gossip and for the best memes and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.