what is Assassins Creed Codename Red

Everything we know about Assassin’s Creed Codename Red, the series’ first game in Japan

Already better than Valhalla’s boring England setting

With the coming but distant launch of the new platform Assassin’s Creed Infinity, two games approach with the hub’s launch that remain shrouded in secrecy and mystery. One of these is Assassin’s Creed Codename Hexe – one that promises to offer a dark take on the franchise and be unlike anything we’ve ever seen before – and the other is Assassin’s Creed Codename Red, one that will seemingly be far more familiar to what we know from the franchise of recent. But what do we know about Assassin’s Creed Codename Red so far and what actually is it? Here’s what Ubisoft have shared so far.

Erm, JAPAN!

Okay, first thing we know is that this game is going to take the franchise to Feudal era Japan – a setting fans of Assassin’s Creed have wanted for so long. Just imagine the parkour off the buildings, trees and architecture that exist there… Stunning doesn’t even cover it. The teaser trailer let us jump into the animus and see this stunning world for ourselves – even seeing an assassin in ninja gear jump up onto the rooftop carrying a samurai sword. Give it to me NOW.

It’s being developed by the Ubisoft team behind Odyssey

Odyssey is my favourite Assassin’s Creed game, so having Codename Red be made by the same people has my hype through the ROOF. Ubisoft have also called it “the future of our open world RPG games” – so expect Codename Red to have a massive map and the levelling up system previously seen in Origins, Odyssey and Valhalla.

There is no release date yet, but it’s pretty certain that AC Codename Red will be coming before Codename Hexe, so expect this one sometime maybe towards the end of 2024 – with Mirage coming this year. Ubisoft have pretty much confirmed their presence at E3 2023, so hopefully we’ll get more information about our Shinobi fantasies coming true then!

Related stories recommended by this writer:

• Everything we know about Assassin’s Creed Codename Hexe, the ‘darkest’ game yet

• Okay so what actually is the upcoming Assassin’s Creed Infinity and is it even a game?

• An inarguable ranking of all 12 mainline Assassin’s Creed games from worst to best