Boyfriend air TikTok

You’ve probably experienced it by now, so here’s what the TikTok boyfriend air theory means

The clean girl aesthetic doesn’t exist at my boyfriend’s house x

TikTok is an app that loves to come up with terms for things, whether it makes sense or not. Boyfriend air is TikTok’s latest term, although this one will be a moment of reflection and understanding for those in relationships.

The theory behind boyfriend air is fairly simple, but somehow everyone has their own variation of it. The hashtag boyfriend air has 14 million views on TikTok already and it’s only been around for a month. So to get a straight to the point explanation, here’s everything you need to know about the boyfriend air theory on TikTok.

It refers to the air that ‘accentuates’ your flaws

According to Know Your Meme, boyfriend air is when you spend time with your boyfriend, your flaws are accentuated in your physical appearance. This can be by either causing your skin to break out, ruining your makeup or giving you messy hair. One TikTok user posted a video about boyfriend air and said: “I just learnt about the boyfriend air theory and it just made me realise that I’ve stopped trying to look my best.

“Why?! Starting today I am going to take better care of myself and get back to the hot girl I was before.” The video has just under 300,000 likes with a split opinion in the comments.

@niki_lisette

Boyfriend air theory isn’t always your partners fault ✨ #boyfriendair

♬ original sound – luxaux

The boyfriend air theory stemmed from the term school air

In October 2022, a TikToker posted about school air with her hair looking a lot different before and after school and over the next few months everyone began to show themselves before and after going to school. The original video gained over five million views and the hashtag has now 110 million views on TikTok.

Not everyone thinks the boyfriend air theory is real

A lot of TikTok users were quick to rubbish the idea of the boyfriend air theory. One user commented under a video about boyfriend air and wrote: “Boyfriend air isn’t real. It’s just you getting comfortable enough to not care as much about what he or other people think. Y’all need to chill.”

Another user said: “I think it’s because we’re subconsciously not trying to attract anybody else’s attention because we’re satisfied with the love we’re getting from our mans.”

@madisonvschramm

this is just my take yall im sorry though im here for the idea of it lol #boyfriendair

♬ original sound – Madison Schramm

A lot of TikTokers are pleased they’re not the only ones who think boyfriend air is a real thing

One TikToker said she was glad that other people were talking about boyfriend air after she stayed round her boyfriend’s house and felt “so dirty” despite taking a shower the night before. Taylor said: “I am so happy people are now talking about boyfriend air because I actually thought I was going crazy.

“I spent a lot of time this past summer at my boyfriend’s apartment in New York and I remember taking a full body shower and the next morning I woke up and felt so dirty. My hair was getting greasy, my skin was looking different, makeup wasn’t staying on right. I was like, ‘what is going on?’.

“I was reapplying deodorant all the time. And then a few months ago I start seeing all these TikToks and I totally get it. I knew it was a thing because it was only at his apartment I would feel this way.”

@taylordonoghuee

I was truly shook to see other ppl also related to this😭💀 #boyfriendair

♬ original sound – Taylordonoghuee