Luca’s family apologise on his behalf for his ‘insensitive behaviour’ last night

‘I know when he watches it back he will be embarrassed and deeply apologetic’

The family of Love Island’s Luca has issued a statement apologising on his behalf for his “insensitive behaviour”.

Last night’s episode saw the Islanders take part in the infamous movie night, and Luca was seen getting upset and angry with Gemma for a clip showing her and Billy together.

The clip showed Billy and Gemma innocently chatting, but Luca appeared to be convinced Gemma had done something wrong, saying she had made him look like a “mug”.

via ITV

In a post made to Luca’s Instagram story, which is currently being run by his family, they said: “I want to apologise on behalf of Luca for his insensitive reaction on last night’s episode. I know that when he watches it back, he will be embarrassed and deeply apologetic.

“We as his family don’t condone his behaviour last night, but we do understand he is in an intense environment where his emotions are heightened. Last night was not reflective of the boy we all know and love at home.

“Please be aware death threats and nasty comments totally overstep the mark and something we as a family should have to endure, for this reason we have turned off the comments and messages.

“For all those who have sent messages checking in on us, we would like to thank you very much and we see you.”

This comes after Luca’s family released a plea to his Instagram account, urging people to stop sending hateful and negative comments to them.

Alongside screenshots of eight hate comments Luca’s family had received on his account, they said: “Please please please stop messaging abuse. Luca can’t even see it. The people that love him most can. I’ve just been sick from crying so much at the death threats (an hour on from that last story). How can people be so inhumane.”

They added: “The hardest night of my entire life. This is happening every second. Just so beyond grateful Luca isn’t here to read these.”

Love Island 2022 continues on ITV2 at 9pm tonight. For all the latest Love Island news and gossip and for the best memes and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.  

• The families of Love Islanders have spoken against hate they’re getting on social media

Tasha’s dad says Love Island is ‘mentally draining’ for her and he’s ‘shocked’ at ableism

• ‘I take responsibility and hold my hands up’: Jacques apologises for his villa antics