best Buffy fashion moments

34 Buffy fashion moments that prove the show slayed more than just vampires

When you’re fighting demons you’ve got to look iconic doing it

Despite Buffy The Vampire Slayer being set in Sunnydale, branded in the pilot episode by Cordelia as “a one Starbucks town”, its monster fighting residents manage to maintain a late 90s / Y2K wardrobe that would have the Depop girls of today sacrificing their first born child to be in with a chance of owning it. Buffy aired through a time of changing fashion – the evolution from the 90s into the turn of the millennium and then finishing in the early 00s. In that time, the characters aged from teenage to young adult, and as the trends changed so did the maturity of their looks. Here’s a round up of some of the best Buffy fashion moments that prove vampires and demons weren’t the only thing the show spent seven years slaying.

1. Pre-Slayer chic

Best Buffy fashion moments

Taken from a flashback to 1995 era Buffy Summers, just before she was called as the Slayer and relocated to Sunnydale, this cute vibe is Buffy as the most popular girl in school she used to be. Vibrant colour, cutesy print and the one shoulder hair? Immaculate. Rounded off with the perfect accessory: A lollipop.

2. Willow’s fuzzy jumper

best Buffy fashion moments

Iconic look from the even more iconic episode Doppelgangland, the fuzzy jumper Willow is there to represent early-Rosenberg at her most cutesie to add even more contrast to the fetish vibes of Vamp Willow. The white tights, the floral skirt and the itchiest looking jumper on earth? Stunning.

3. Vampire Willow’s fetish wow

One of the best and most famous Buffy fashion moments comes in the form of this sticky, shiny, latexy, leathery, lacy goth masterpiece that Vamp Willow brings over from the Wishverse. Immaculate. The black nail polish is the crowning jewel.

4. Faith’s gym and leather combo

Best Buffy fashion moments

Faith’s wardrobe was nothing short of killer at every turn, but it’s this combo of hoodie and leathers that has had me in a chokehold for 20 years. So wrong but so right?

5. School gals

best Buffy fashion moments

Always cherished the school days contrast between Buffy and Willow’s wardrobes. It’s on fine display here, with Buffy looking ready for a shift in the office (but in a chic way x) with her matching cami/cardi combo and Willow looking like a student vibe.

6. Cordelia’s prom dress

best Buffy fashion moments

Cordelia Chase never puts a fashion foot wrong, but she walked into that prom like it was the Met Gala and honestly I’ve never recovered from the glamour and the elegance.

7. Simple 00s vibe

best Buffy fashion moments

This little understated season seven fashion moment deserves some hype for the chill lacy vibes and the fact the jeans don’t have a waistline. Iconic.

8. Cordelia’s revenge lewk

best Buffy fashion moments

After she catches Xander cheating on her, Queen Cordy turns up to school in the most ridiculous but legendary look on earth. The fact she sat in maths class in this two piece leather snakeskin co-ord gives me goosebumps.

9. Buffy’s tie-dye cropped cami

best Buffy fashion moments

A stone cold classic. The Depop girls are honestly foaming at the mouth. PERFECT COLOUR.

10. Season five gang vibe

best Buffy fashion moments

Every one has their own thing going on. Buffy is always killing it in her red leather, Xander with his penchant for wacky shirts, Willow in her earthy era, Riley a permanent frat boy and Anya the QUEEN of a strappy dress.

11. Sister sister

Dawn is channelling an early Willow vibe here, and Buffy is full 00s gal. Both killing it. Summers women always do! Special shout out to Joyce in leopard print.

12. See above, but with GLASSES

The sunglasses addition honestly turns Buffy into Britney.

13. Tara going full art teacher

Tara’s fashions on Buffy are consistent – earthy, Wiccan vibes with lots of neutral tones. This is textbook Tara. Essential Tara.

14. CLASSIC BUFFY ALERT

Legendary season one look from The Puppet Show. Knee high go-go boots, a TINY leopard print dress and a classic Buffy leather jacket? Hair in a BIG pony? Untouchable. Undoubtedly one 0f the best Buffy fashion moments EVER.

15. KABOOM

best Buffy fashion moments

Going out fighting vampires in a cozy little hat that says bomb on it? That’s the Buffy way, baby.

16. Long vest dress

The cheek of Buffy using this vest as a dress is admirable, especially in a school setting, but she looks like such a rock star she pulls it off like no one else could.

17. 70s vibes

best Buffy fashion moments

No one rocks a 70s moment like Willow Rosenberg. Buffy keeps it muted but still absolutely slays in the wide leg pants and the circular toe boots.

18. Tommy!!!

If there was one item of clothing in all of Buffy The Vampire Slayer that I’d do anything to own, it would be this Tommy Hilfiger turtleneck that Cordelia wears to The Bronze. I’d pay HUNDREDS for it.

19. Buffy’s slow-mo coat

One of the most iconic looks ever, courtesy of the slow mo run Buffy does in it during the climax of Becoming part one. A shimmery cyan trench coat with white buttons is peak Buffy dramatic wardrobe.

20. Cute Cordelia moment

best Buffy fashion moments

A simple but great cute look from Cordy. The off duty vibes from the tee with the girly pleat skirt? Absolute vibe.

21. Witchy icons

Huge fan of that era where Willow and Tara ended up dressing the same. Tara was a good influence on Willow’s wardrobe. The best couple in Buffy history without a shadow of a doubt, and here they prove themselves as the best dressed couple, too.

22. More 70s vibes

Could the jeans be any more blue? Heaven. I love the cream and blue combo and how the cream continues into the most useless belt in the world.

23. Western jacket heaven

best Buffy fashion moments

You’d be hard pressed to find a better November ensemble than this. The turtle neck under that stunning, studded, western suede vibe is immaculate.

24. We have to talk about Willow and Tara in Once More, With Feeling

Many, many discussions have centred on Tara’s fairytale look she wears in Once More, With Feeling – and it doesn’t matter if you love it or hate it, you can’t deny it’s iconic. As a kid I found it bemusing, as an adult I think it’s legendary. Willow’s foresty print pink floor length is equally iconic.

25. Buffy’s prom dress

best Buffy fashion moments

One of the Slayer’s best fashion moments on Buffy is undoubtedly her prom dress. Chic, fashion forward, runway ready. It’s timeless and has aged like a fine wine despite debuting back in 1999.

26. Preppy chic

Cordelia always smashes the preppy look, and this is one of the best she ever did. Such private school vibes. That skirt!

27. Bandana Buffy

Everything about this simple Buffy look hits correct. The bandana is the perfect scene stealer, but the cropped leather jacket fits so perfectly it looks like it was custom made for her body.

28. Bandana print skirt

On Buffy’s first trip inside The Initiative, she couples leather with this striking mid skirt in a bandana print that just absolutely summarises fashion around the year 2000. I LOVE IT.

29. Tan trench

I have no clue where Buffy Summers stores all of her leather coats but I don’t care about the logistics, let’s just marvel at the chic couture gorgeousness.

30. Campus queens

I love how much these outfits show character growth. Willow gets to uni and just slots right in – cool trainers with skirts and a chic new haircut. Elevated Rosenberg. Buffy unsure of herself in new surroundings but still putting together a cute girly summer look. Classic.

31. Look, I had to

The bridesmaid dresses Buffy, Tara, Willow, Dawn and Halfrek have to wear for Anya’s wedding are from hell, but my GOD, they’re iconic.

32. The ‘Bunnies’ butterfly

Anya always rocks a perfectly chic retail ready ensemble, and the butterfly winged top is one for the history books.

33. Prophecy Girl!

Beyond iconic. The dress for the dance with the leather jacket and crossbow? There’s a reason this pic is so symbolic with everything Buffy stands for. Shout out to Sarah Michelle Gellar still wearing it on Insta all these years later! It’s undoubtedly one of the best fashion moments ever to be seen on Buffy.

34. THEE outfit

The most culturally significant outfit ever put together in the history of the human race

Recommended stories by this writer:

• How an episode of Buffy The Vampire Slayer helped me to grieve a loss in my family

• Only the Chosen One is getting full marks on this impossible Buffy The Vampire Slayer quiz

• Happy 20th birthday to Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the best thing to come out of the nineties