Serving Met Police officer to appear in court after being charged with rape

PC Adam Zaman has been suspended

A serving Metropolitan Police officer has been charged with rape.

28-year-old PC Adam Zaman, was charged by the City of London Police today. He has been remanded in custody to to appear at Westminster Magistrates’ Court this afternoon.

The charge relates to an alleged incident in the City of London on Sunday evening (24th October). Zaman was off duty at the time and was arrested the next day, the Met Police says.

He has been suspended and the matter has been referred to the Independent Office for Police Conduct. The Met’s Directorate of Professional Standards has also been informed.

Zaman is based on the East Area Command Unit. Detective Chief Superintendent Paul Trevers, Policing Commander for the East Area Command Unit, said: “I recognise that the public will be concerned to hear that a serving police officer has been charged with such a serious offence. We absolutely share that concern.

“We acted swiftly when this allegation was reported to us and have fully supported what continues to be a thorough investigation by detectives from the City of London Police. Specialist support is being provided to the complainant.

“PC Zaman has now been charged and it is important that criminal proceedings are allowed to take their course. Nothing should be said or reported which could put the integrity of those proceedings at risk.”

Stock featured image via Met Police