RuPaul’s Drag Race queen Widow Von’Du has been arrested for alleged domestic violence

Widow Von’Du competed on season 12 in 2020

RuPaul’s Drag Race season 12 queen Widow Von’Du was arrested on Monday and charged for alleged domestic violence.

Kansas City Police Department have stated that Widow, who goes by Ray Fry out of drag, confirmed that they booked Von’Du on one count of domestic assault in the first degree, and three counts in the second degree.

Widow Von'Du Drag Race

Ray Fry. Credit: Jackson County Detention Centre

On June 2nd, Widow was released after paying $5,000 of her $50,000 bail – pending a further court appearance on June 7th. Before this date, Widow must stay under house arrest, isn’t allowed to contact the alleged victim and mustn’t be in possession of any firearms.

The alleged victim is said to be Widow’s boyfriend, who claims she got upset when she returned to find him sleeping in her apartment without her consent – although the alleged victim states he told Widow that he would be staying there.

The boyfriend of Widow Von’Du told Kansas police that he was dragged across the floor, pushed into a bed frame rendering him unconscious, punched in his face four or five times, and strangled by the Drag Race alum.

A video on Twitter taken of the arrest shows Widow telling the police her version of events: “You’re taking me down because I was assaulted in my own apartment as someone else would not understand that his privilege does not extend to my apartment.

“As a Black man, I’m being arrested for defending myself in my apartment, and just because his ass got beat up because he would not leave when I asked five times, I’m being arrested… instead of someone being arrested for violating me.”

A Twitter user explained Missouri law backing Widow’s claims on the events, saying “she has the legal right to do whatever she deems fit to remove anyone disrupting the sanctity of her home.”

There is a petition online for people to sign stating that Widow was arrested wrongly for the charges against her. The petition is at over 6,300 signatures and has been shared by prominent Drag Race alumni.

Recommended stories by this writer:

• The ultimate ranking of every season of RuPaul’s Drag Race

• Drag Race Down Under: A car crash that can’t stop crashing

• The most controversial Snatch Game performances in RuPaul’s Drag Race history