New Music Friday, Saweetie, Little Simz, Slayyyter, Charli XCX, Bebe Rexha, Conan Gray

New Music Friday: Everything out today you should be listening to

Pop punk revival, Brighton born bands supremacy and nonstop immaculate vibes

New Music Friday can be so overwhelming. Where to start? Where to stop? Not everyone’s got a spare hour to sift through their Spotify release radar to find their new favourite songs. With that in mind, we’ve been charitable enough to do it for you. Here’s a quick roundup of the 10 best new songs out this New Music Friday and the albums released that are definitely worth a spin:

Slayyyter – Over This!

The sixth single that’s been released in the run up to Slayyyter’s debut album Troubled Paradise that’s due to drop on June 11th, the St Louis pop princess is keeping us on our toes with another musically diverse release. Over This! emulates huge 00s pop punk energy – a fun diversion from the synth pop or hyperpop releases she’s shared from the album so far and further solidifying her as one of the most versatile up and coming artists about.

Listen if you like: Avril Lavigne, Britney Spears

A.G. Cook – Xcxoplex (feat. Charli XCX)

One for the hard electronic and hyperpop stans, A.G. Cook has shared the latest cut from his upcoming remix album and has brought on longtime collaborator Charli XCX to lay vocals down on one of the most abrasive cuts from his 2020 album Apple. Charli’s vocals are autotuned to a transcendent level and if you like your music maximalist you’ll love this.

Listen if you like: SOPHIE

Conan Gray – Astronomy

Conan’s rise isn’t really showing signs of stopping, and the latest drop from him is a more acoustic affair following the huge, synth lead Overdrive earlier in the year. His music radiates that young promise of the next generation of pop star – in the same vein as peers Olivia Rodrigo and Billie Eilish.

Listen if you like: Troye Sivan, Taylor Swift’s album Folklore

Little Simz and Cleo Sol – Woman

With every release, Little Simz solidifies herself as one of the most exciting and versatile artists the UK’s got. Following the cinematic scope of her previous single Introvert, Woman is a laid back, beachside affair that’s the four minute equivalent of going on holiday. Cleo Sol’s lush featured vocals are heavenly and it’s just another reason why Simz’ upcoming September release Sometimes I Might Be Introvert is one of the most anticipated of the year.

Listen if you like: Kali Uchis

Saweetie – Fast (Motion)

Fresh off the back of her feature on Little Mix’s Confetti that dropped last week, Saweetie is back this New Music Friday with her best single yet. Bursting with personality, a banging beat and great verses, this one is begging to be a hit and if TikTok doesn’t get a dance trend out of this it will be a crime.

Listen if you like: Doja Cat

YONAKA – Call Me A Saint

YONAKA have been releasing steadily for a few years and this latest is the poppiest twist on their guitar lead formula yet. Moody synths a la Physical by Dua Lipa start it off before a harder chorus. The Brighton rock band are consistently interesting and this isn’t an exception, lead vocalist Theresa Jarvis has such a presence.

Listen if you like: Hole, Garbage, Rina Sawayama

BEKA – Green Lights

BEKA’s back with her new single drop and it’s as irresistible as its cover artwork. There’s such a dreamy beauty this song, airy production and summery vocals. She’s one to watch.

Listen if you like: Laura Mvula

Fickle Friends – Won’t Hurt Myself

With both YONAKA’s single and this Fickle Friends drop, it’s a great New Music Friday for native Brighton bands! Fickle Friends have really carved out their niche of making music that sounds fresh off the soundtrack of your favourite teen film and they’re so consistently exciting.

Listen if you like: Music that sounds like it’s off the Stranger Things soundtrack

joan – so good

Everyone’s favourite Arkansas softboy duo are back with their latest drop and it’s everything you want from a joan release: cutesy, 00s production breaks and catchy after one listen. No other band are doing anything like them right now.

Listen if you like: Britney Spears and N-SYNC

Tai Verdes – A-O-K

Summery serotonin in a song. If the weather’s shite today get this on and pretend you’re at a BBQ.

Listen if you like: Tyler, the Creator

Albums

Aly & AJ – a touch of the beat gets you up on your feet gets you out and into the sun

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Aly & AJ (@alyandaj)

Yes, the album title is ridiculous! But the sister put an instant stop to the laughs when you realise how great the music is – easily one of the best records of the year so far. After their biggest hit from their years as Disney stars Potential Breakup Song got extra traction on TikTok after the iconic video of the lip syncing mums went viral, Aly and AJ Michalka return with their first studio album in 14 years. A departure from the pop rock of their teenage days and from the 80s synth lead feel of their recent (and very great) EPs, ‘a touch of the beat’ is an Americana and country soaked record that highlights how excellent they both are as songwriters and how successful they are at writing choruses that you belt along at the top of your voice. A must listen.

Standout tracks: Pretty Places, Symptom of Your Touch, Slow Dancing

Alfie Templeman – Forever Isn’t Long Enough

Self described indie-r&b singer songwriter Alfie is back this New Music Friday with his new collection, an exceptionally funky affair that sounds really fresh and is nonstop feel good vibes. The Bedfordshire native is still working on his big debut LP and this serves as a mini-album/EP to tide over fans. It’s his best and most exciting release thus far.

Standout tracks: Shady, Hideaway, Wait, I Lied

Bebe Rexha – Better Mistakes

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Bebe Rexha (@beberexha)

A polarising figure in pop, for better or for worse. Bebe is back with her second album and she’s brought with her a fleet of collaborators including Ty Dolla Sign, Rick Ross, Travis Barker and Doja Cat. The songwriting is frequently clunky (the album opens with ‘hello my name is Stevie / actually, I’m lying, it’s really Bebe’ … okay?) but if you can ride that out the hooks are often solid.

Standout tracks: Sabotage, Sacrifice, Baby I’m Jealous