sugababes where are they now

The West End, Masterchef and babies: What are the Sugababes up to now?

They just released a new remix of Run for Cover

Growing up as a child in the UK, there was the holy trinity of girl bands – The Spice Girls, Girls Aloud and the Sugababes. And I won’t lie I think the Sugababes were seriously underrated. They had more number one singles than any other group apart from The Spice Girls, began their careers when they were just teenagers and looked pretty cool whilst doing it. But where are they now?

The Sugababes went through a number of band changes over their 10 plus years in the music industry. The original three Keisha, Mutya and Siobhán were only together for three years before Siobhán left and they began the slightly odd tradition of frequently changing band members.

The frequent turn over of band members led to a lot of alleged fighting going on. However now the original band members have got back together and have been working on new music. They’ve just released an MNEK remix of their 2001 song Run for Cover and eight year old me has never been more excited.

So what have the original three and the other members been up to since they left the band? This is where the Sugababes are now:

Keisha Buchanan

via Instagram @keishabuchanan

Keisha was one of the OG members of the Sugababes, having met Mutya at primary school. At age 14 she joined Mutya and Siobhán and they began the band.

She was the OG member who stayed in the band the longest, before she left in 2009. At the time Keisha revealed it was not her choice to leave the band and Heidi and Amelle were said not to have had any involvement in Keisha leaving.

Since she departed the band Keisha released independent music of her own, before rejoining with Mutya and Siobhán to become a band again.

In the last few years Keisha has started a YouTube channel, describes herself as an “investor” and has nearly 50,000 followers on Instagram. She currently appears to be living in Canada.

Mutya Buena

via Instagram @official_mutyabuena

Co-founding member of the Sugababes Mutya left the band in 2005 for personal reasons. These reasons appeared to be Mutya was suffering from post-natal depression following the birth of her daugter and a desire to spend more time with her.

Mutya then went onto work on solo music, evenutally bringing out an album in 2007. She’s also appeared in two big reality shows. In 2009 she was a housemate in Celebrity Big Brother, where she ended up walking out of the house two weeks into the show.

More recently she appeared on Celebs Go Dating, Celebrity Coach Trip and Just Tattoo of Us. And that’s not all – Mutya set up a music agency with friends in 2017 called Colour of Musiq.

In 2014 Mutya made headlines after she was declared bankrupt but six years later she called out the media for not covering the followup story that she ended up paying off her £100,000 tax debts after an admin error made by her accountants. Mutya has been ranked the second best ever girl band member, just coming behind Beyoncé which is pretty cool.

Siobhán Donaghy

via Instagram @siobhandonaghy

Siobhán was the first original member to leave the band when she made her exit in 2001. There were two main reasons she allegedly left the band, the first being that she never got on with Keisha and that she was diagnosed with depression.

Two years later Siobhán went onto release her own solo material. A few years later she went onto perform in the musical Rent in the West End. However she then took a step back from the music industry and worked as a model booker at Storm Models.

In 2013 Siobhán married her long term partner Chris McCoy and both Keisha and Mutya attended the wedding. In 2017 Siobhán gave birth to her first child, a boy called Ford Charles McCoy.

She reunited with the OG band members to perform on the Graham Norton Show in 2019 to celebrate their return as a trio.

Heidi Range

via Instagram @hrange29

Heidi joined the Sugababes in 2001 after a few months with iconic 00s band Atomic Kitten. She stayed in the band before they went on hiatus in 2011.

After the band Heidi went onto compete in Dancing on Ice and was eliminated after a few weeks. A year later she appeared on Celebrity Masterchef but was booted off in the first round. Heidi returned to her musical roots in 2016 when she appeared in the West End musical The War of The Worlds.

Heidi was engaged to Capital DJ Dave Berry for nearly 10 years before they broke off their engagement in 2011. Five years later she ended up marrying Alex Partakis. They have one daughter together called Aurelia and they are currently expecting their second child to be born this summer.

Amelle Berrabah

via Instagram @amellebofficial

Amelle joined the Sugababes in 2005 after Mutya departed from the group. She stayed with the group until their hiatus in 2011 and had already recorded solo material when she appeared in Tinchy Stryder’s single in 2009.

Amelle went onto release a few more singles but never a full on album. In 2014 she appeared on the BBC’s gymnastics show Tumble and two years later she went on Celebrity Masterchef.

In 2014 Amelle married Marcio Sousa Rosa and four years later they had their first child Amirah. In January last year it was announced she and Marcio had divorced and only a short time later did Amelle sadly lose her mother.

In 2019 Amella began working on her biggest project since the Sugababes which was performing as part of the musical Club Tropicana.

Jade Ewen

via Instagram @jadeewenofficial

The final member of the Sugababes was Jade who joined after Keisha left the band. Jade was the UK’s act for the 2009 edition of Eurovision and after spotting her perform she was then added to the group.

After the band went on hiatus Jade focused more on acting. She made appearances in Casualty, Love Sick and There She Goes. She also played the role of Jasmine in the West End’s Aladdin.

Whilst performing in the show Jade met her fiancée Daniel de Bourg. The two appear very loved up and have a dog together.

Featured image credit via Instagram @keishabuchanan