University of Nottingham statement confirms ‘sudden and unexpected’ death of two students

They are believed to have been attacked on the way home from a night out

University of Nottingham has confirmed that two of these found dead in this morning’s “serious incident” were students.

In a statement, the university said: “It is with great sadness that we confirm the sudden and unexpected death of two students following a major incident in Nottingham city centre overnight.

“We are shocked and devastated by the news”

A 31-year-old man was arrested and remains in police custody after the incident which saw three people killed and another fight for their life in hospital.

The two University of Nottingham students are believed to first years who were walking home from a night out when they were attacked just minutes away from their hall in Lenton.

A friend of the male student who died told The Mirror: “He was a friend of mine. He was just walking home from a club like we all do. They just got unlucky.

“They were just five minutes from home and both got stabbed by some random guy.”

The university has also confirmed that the Graduation Ball which was due to be held tonight for final year students at Colwick Hall has been cancelled.

This story will be updated as and when we have more information.

If this story affects you or you have information you’d like to anonymously share, email [email protected].

Grad Ball cancelled following ‘major incident’ in Nottingham city centre

Two dead in major incident believed to be University of Nottingham students

Man arrested after three people found dead in Nottingham city centre