Here are all the ways you can celebrate LGBTQ+ History Month in Newcastle

Celebrate being part of this community through a range of different activities  

As we all know, February is LGBTQ+ History Month. As such, on February 4th, celebrations for LGBTQ+ History Month in Newcastle began. Newcastle University have hosted numerous events throughout the month, discussing the significance of LGBTQ+ month for members of the community and celebrating how they should feel proud to be a part of it.

For LGBTQ+ History month, Newcastle University LGBTQ+ Society are hosting a tonne of fun things, including conferences on both Saturday 25th and Sunday 26th of February. They’ll include insightful talks, workshops on a range of topics, including neurodiversity and queer identity, and even crafts where you can make your own queer tote. Full details can be found on their Instagram.

Around Newcastle, Eventbrite is also hosting multiple online events this month catered for the LGBTQ+ community. On February 16th, a “Know your LGBTQ+ History” event was hosted, giving attendees the chance to become familiar with LGBTQIA language and be confident using terminology. They also covered topics such as “Why the flag?”, “The unsung history heroes”, “The LGBT+ ABC’s” and how to be a more inclusive LGBT+ employer.

As of this week, there are still many upcoming events to attend. On Thursday there’s an LGBT+ NSG Bookclub at Newcastle City Library from 17:30-18:30. The group are discussing “An Unkindness Of Ghosts” written by Rivers Solomon. If you’re interested, act now! Only 12 spots are available.

The next Eventbrite online session is to take place on Wednesday 22nd February between 7pm and 8pm and will be an LGBT History Month Talk. Tickets are free and can be found hereThese online events are easy for anyone to join regardless of where you are. It gives more LGBTQ+ people the chance to meet other members of the community and learn about the importance of LGBTQ+ history.

On Saturday, Walk with Pride is set to take place. It starts at 2pm on John Dobson Street and is free of charge to join. Afterwards, a social will take place at Tyneside Cinema. This walk brings the community together in solidarity and gives people the chance to make more LGBTQ+ friends as a marginalised group.

What’s more, Eventbrite even hosted an LGBTQ+ History Month Foam Party in Dundee, Scotland, offering a safe space for people in the LGBTQ+ community to feel comfortable when out drinking or clubbing, knowing they are surrounded by people similar to themselves. Something we’d like to see more of in Newcastle.

Despite all of these events, LGBTQ+ history month can be difficult for many in the community, closeted people specifically. Many feel like they cannot fully celebrate LGBTQ+ month as they have not come out yet or are not in a safe environment to do so. This month is significant for so many people, whether they are proud of their sexuality or not. Being different doesn’t make us abnormal, but it can be isolating to feel this way. 

Nobody should ever feel like they have to come out. To people who may be struggling, there are so many others feeling the same way, but being around people that make you feel appreciated is important. Please know that it does get easier, social stigmas are declining and society is more committed to supporting LGBTQ+ people. Our love is something we cannot control and it deserves to be celebrated. 

If you are a Northumbria University student feeling unsettled, please be aware that support is available. You can access 24/7 information, advice and support through the Ask4Help service and specialist support through the professional counselling and mental health team. To access these services please visit Student Life and Wellbeing.

If you are a Newcastle University student and need support, you can access 24/7 information, advice and support through the TalkCampus and iNCLude service and find specialist support through the professional counselling and mental health team. To access these services please visit Student Wellbeing.

Further support can be found through the following organisations:

akt LGBTQ+ youth homelessness hotline – 0191 281 0099

Being Gay is Okay – 01483 727667, open Tuesday or Sunday between 7:30 pm to 10 pm

Samaritans  – 08457 90 90 9, (24 hours)

Featured Image via Youtube.