UCU announces first Liverpool uni strike date for February

The strike is one of 18 taking place between February and March

Yesterday the University College Union (UCU) announced that the first day of strikes for the new year will take place on the 1st of February.

A further 17 strikes are set to take place in February and March over disputes surrounding pay, working conditions and pensions.

The UCU announced that 150 universities will be affected, including the University of Liverpool, Liverpool John Moores University, Liverpool Hope University, Edge Hill University, Liverpool Institute of Performing Arts and Liverpool School of Tropical Medicine.

The dates for the further 17 days of strikes will be confirmed next week.

UCU general secretary Jo Grady stated: “On 1st February, 70,000 university staff will walk out alongside fellow trade unions and hundreds of thousands of other workers to demand their fair share”.

“Whilst the cost-of-living crisis rages, university vice-chancellors are dragging their feet and refusing to use the vast wealth in the sector to address over a decade of falling pay, rampant casualisation and massive pension cuts”.

“UCU remains committed to reaching a negotiated settlement, but if university employers don’t get serious and fast, more strike action will follow in February and March.”