Kent Union makes Zayn Malik and Sadiq Khan faces of Black History Month

People are really confused

Kent Union, as part of their ongoing celebrations of Black History Month, have perplexed many students after posting biographies of and tributes to the former One Direction singer Zayn Malik and Mayor of London Sadiq Khan on their Facebook page.

The chart-topping singer was described by the Union in their post as “born… in Bradford, England, to a family of English-Pakistani descent“, leaving many to question why exactly he had been highlighted as an icon during Black History Month.

sadiq-khan-kent-union

Credit: Kent Union

The same went for the former Labour MP and incumbent Mayor of London Sadiq Khan, who is of Indian and Pakistani heritage, who was posted about on the 6th October, but to no response until now.

Other influential individuals who have been profiled on Kent Union’s Facebook page as part of Black History Month include Mary Seacole, Dame Kelly Holmes, Arthur Wharton and Trevor McDonald.

zayn-malik-kent-union

Credit: Kent Union

Comments on Facebook ranged from those reacting with hilarity to outrage. One person stated: “To the person who posted this, you are everything that is wrong with this celebration.”

Another commented: “If peopleĀ could stop calling Arabs black maybe we could actually deal with antiblackness.”

One more light-hearted response read “The Zayn fan who posted this needs to zelete this.”

University of Kent