Updated UofG strike dates: UCU members to drop two days from originally scheduled action

Glasgow University staff will now only be striking on Wednesday 27th September

UCU have called off strikes at the University of Glasgow for the 26th and 28th September, with members only striking on Wednesday 27th September now.

The original striking dates included various dates between the 13th and 28th September, but students this afternoon received an email from University of Glasgow’s chief operating officer confirmed the union’s change of plan.

The email said: “The university has received notification from UCU that members locally have voted to stand down two of their three planned strike days next week. UCU will now only strike on Wednesday 27 September 2023.  UCU members will NOT take strike action on Tuesday 26th and Thursday 28th September.”

However, members of UNISON are expected to proceed with their strike action as planned from the 26th to the 28th September. The University of Glasgow “expects” the large majority of staff to continue working as usual and has urged students to attend classes unless otherwise notified.

The university has also offered help and support during an uncertain time for many students.

The email read: “We appreciate the anxiety and inconvenience these strikes may be causing, and we are doing everything we can to mitigate against the impacts. There is more information about the current industrial action on our student industrial action webpages. We also recognise this may cause anxiety to some, and we have a range of support services available including a 24-hour Counselling and Advice Line to provide guidance and help.”