Cardiff’s Dragon Taxis has renewed its Safe Rides taxi scheme for an 11th year

‘If you find yourself without cash or in a vulnerable situation, don’t stress, Dragon Taxis will get you home safely’

Dragon Taxis has pledged to continue its Safe Rides Initiative for another year.

The renewal of the scheme will mark the 11th year of its partnership with the Cardiff University and Cardiff Met Students’ Unions.

What is the Safe Rides Initiative?

The scheme enables students to book a journey worth up to £20 to one of the valid destinations, either a student residential address, halls of residence, a police station, or a hospital. No money is taken at the time but they then must pay the money back later to the student union.

Students must show their student ID to the driver and provide their student number on booking in order to benefit from the scheme.

A priority vehicle will be sent to you so that you can get to one of the mentioned destinations as soon as possible.

Cardiff University SU says you should visit the finance office of the SU within a few days, while Cardiff Met SU gives you up to seven days to repay the fee.

Who can use the scheme?

Students at both Cardiff University and Cardiff Met are eligible for the Safe Taxi scheme, and up to four students are permitted to travel at any one time.

When is the scheme available?

The Safe Rides Initiative is available 24 hours a day.

How do I use the scheme?

1. Phone 02920 333 333 quoting “Cardiff University Safe Taxi Scheme,” or “Cardiff Metropolitan University Safe Taxi Scheme” giving your name and student number.
  2. When the taxi arrives, give your student card to the driver.
  3. Within the next few days, visit the student union and pay the taxi fare.

Sally Krouma, Hyperlocal Marketing Manager at Dragon Taxis, said: “Moving to a new area and starting university can be daunting, so we are here to support students in Cardiff as they find their feet; our emergency service will ensure they get home safe without worry over finding the fare.”