This month there will be an additional strike day in Wales, says UCU

Three out of five working days during the week commencing 13th March will be strike days

The University and College Union (UCU) has announced that there will be an additional strike day in March.

This additional day will be on 15th March whilst other strike days this month fall on 16th, 17th, 20th, 21st and 22nd March.

UCU’s General Secretary, Jo Grady announced the news on their website saying that whilst negotiations are going well and progress is being made regarding the union’s demands, they do not wish to back down.

She said: “I’m pleased to say – that whilst Acas talks take place on a confidential basis, I can say that we are making progress across a range of subjects at Acas and will bring your more information on that as those talks come to a natural conclusion

“What you also saw last week was that the employer chose to put out their pay offer and make it clear that it is final and that universities can implement the initial element of that pay offer. We need to be absolutely crystal clear, this is not a pay offer that has been agreed with us as a union, or any of the other unions involved in the negotiations.

“But we aren’t gonna be phased wither. That is why in addition to the industrial action that you already have called on March 16, 17, 20, 21, 22, the Higher Education Committee have decided to call industrial action on March 15.”

She explained the additional strike day as a way to “focus the employer’s mind as talks come to a conclusion this week and especially early next week.”

Cardiff University also posted about the news on its intranet which hints that this additional day will be affecting lectures at the university on the 15th. They have also published a FAQs page for those who have any queries about the strikes in March.