Everything you need to know about Cambridge’s Reclaim the Night 2024

Celebrate International Women’s Week at Cambridge

Reclaim the Night is an annual march that takes place across the country protesting against sexual violence towards women.

Reclaim the Night has a long history dating back to the 70’s across lots of major cities, as a response to the death of sex workers in the local area. Women took to the streets in protest, and this has since become a yearly event across the country.

By participating in the march, women get an opportunity to reclaim bodily autonomy and walk the streets without fear of persecution.

As Reclaim the Night developed, it began to take a more intersectional approach to protest, recognising the experiences of women who fit into multiple minority groups and how this affects their experience of sexual violence.

All female or female-identifying students are encouraged to participate as it is an important moment for women to come together to protest an extremely important issue.

This year, it will take place on Wednesday 6th March. Here is what you need to know:

Who can participate?

All women and those who have woman as part of their gender identity.

When is it?

It starts at 6pm and will last until 8pm, but you don’t have to stay for the entire time.

Where is it?

At 6pm, everyone will meet at Parker’s Piece. The march itself will begin at 6:30pm, followed by a vigil at 7:30pm.

What do I need?

You don’t need to bring anything and can just show up! However, lots of people like to bring cardboard signs and banners.

Picture of a woman speaking through a megaphone. Text next to image reads

Check the SU website for more details here.

Feature Image Credits: Marta Zalicka