seemona worst ex ever

From abuse to false imprisonment: Where is Worst Ex Ever’s Seemona Sumasar now?

Her ex-boyfriend’s lies resulted in her seven month imprisonment in a maximum security facility

The second episode of Worst Ex Ever follows the story of Seemona Sumasar, a woman who spent seven months in prison after being framed by her abusive ex-boyfriend. Titled Betrayed by the Badge, the episode explores how Seemona met Jerry Ramrattan, a man who posed as a police detective and hid his wife and children from Seemona for two years.

A phone call made to Seemona led to the unravelling of his lies, resulting in Seemona breaking things off with him. The show then details Jerry’s awful crimes and the story he spun to the police, which resulted in Seemona’s imprisonment.

What happened to Seemona Sumasar?

seemona worst ex ever

via Netflix

Seemona met Jerry after he came into her restaurant, with the two quickly hitting it off and dating each other. But after two years, Jerry’s wife got in contact with Seemona to tell her he actually had a wife and family.

Seemona described how after breaking up with Jerry, she still allowed him to stay in her basement. It was here that he sexually assaulted her.

After the assault, Seemona rung the police who charged Jerry with rape, as well as investigating him for impersonating a police officer.

But after his mother paid his $150k bail, Jerry began an elaborate scheme to frame Seemona for a series of armed robberies, manipulating several witnesses into saying that Seemona had robbed them at gunpoint. He also fabricated evidence, which led to Seemona’s arrest in 2010.

When being interviewed by Nassau County police officers, Seemona insisted her innocence and explained how her ex-boyfriend was likely behind the crimes. Se said: “If you think I did something, then he’s behind it. I didn’t do it

“No, this has nothing to do with him,” they told her

Despite protesting her innocence and having no prior criminal record and an alibi, Seemona was charged with multiple counts and imprisoned for seven months due to a $1 million bail. Facing up to 25 years in prison, Seemona was separated from her 12-year-old daughter during her imprisonment.

Throughout this time, police failed to thoroughly investigate Jerry’s involvement in Seemona’s case, despite his clear motive following the rape charges.

Seemona’s uncle, Vij Itwar described Jerry as “wicked” and told Netflix in the documentary: “How could someone be so wicked to do something like this? She has a child and was incarcerated for such a long time while he was living freely.”

After seven months in prison, Seemona was  eventually proved innocent after the individuals who fabricated evidence finally came clean.

In 2012, Jerry Rammatan was found guilty of rape, perjury, and tampering with a witness, being sentenced to a maximum of 32 years in prison.

Following Worst Ex Ever, where is Seemona Sumasar now?

seemona worst ex ever

via Netflix

Following her imprisonment, Seemona and her daughter sued Nassau County and the detectives involved in her case. They were awarded $2 million in 2017 in an out-of-court settlement.

But Seemona didn’t care about the settlement amount, instead wanting police to acknowledge their errors and mistakes.

She said in the documentary: “That was a relief. And I couldn’t have asked for a better outcome.”

Seemona now works as a flight attendant for Frontier, a career she pursued since 2014.

Worst Ex Ever is available on Netflix now. For more like this look at where Seemona from Worst Ex Ever is now the latest Netflix news, drops and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.