Doge meme died

Guys, the Doge meme dog has heartbreakingly died and I’m really not okay

She will live on forever in memes

Guys, I have some absolutely heartbreaking news, Kabosu the Shiba Inu behind the famous Doge meme has heartbreakingly died and I’m really not okay. She has to go down as one of the most famous dogs of all time, as well as the most recognisable memes after it was first shared in 2013. In fact, Kabosu became so popular from the meme that she even inspired a cryptocurrency.

Her owner posted the heartbreaking news that Kabosu died on her Instagram this morning, but the pup behind the Doge meme lived a long life all the way to 18 years old. A memorial party is being held this weekend with thousands of people paying their respects to the goodest girl in the comment section.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by かぼすママ (@kabosumama)

Her owner wrote on Instagram: “Thank you all so much for your support over the years. Thank you all so much for loving Kabosu all these years. I am certain Kabosu was the happiest dog in the world. That makes me the happiest owner in the world. I would like to express my deepest appreciation to everyone who has sent us much love to us.”

Kabosu was saved from a puppy mill in Japan in 2008 and the picture went viral in 2013 after a Reddit user deliberately called Kabosu, Doge, in reference to a 2005 episode of Homestar Runner. The meme quickly took off and in 2021 showed no signs of losing popularity after a NFT of the Doge meme sold for £3.2 million and the pooch became the face of Dogecoin.

Hopefully, Kabosu is chasing all the squirrels she could ever wish for and receiving endless head scritches.