Matty Healy anti-semitic

The 1975’s Matty Healy has been accused of giving the Nazi salute while on tour

He threw up a salute while singing Love It If We Made It

The 1975 frontman Matty Healy has been accused of giving the Nazi salute during one of the shows on the band’s tour. Footage of the concert was shared online which shows Healy to be marching and lifting his arm in a salute while singing the band’s Love It If We Made It.

The singer is facing backlash and is being called “vulgar” and “irresponsible”, as well as shutting those down who have called it satire. While marching and doing what appears to be the Nazi salute, Healy sang: “Thank you Kanye very cool,” which is part of the song.

Fans of The 1975 have called out the singer for doing the salute during the Kanye West lyric in the song due to Kanye’s prior anti-semitic comments on social media. In October 2022, Kanye West said he would go “DEFCON three on Jewish people”. The rapper later apologised for the “hurt and confusion” he caused by the DEFCON comments.

One Twitter user said: “No amount of context will ever make this behaviour okay. People who try to justify this are part of the problem too.”

Another said: “You cannot hide your ignorance and bigotry behind performance and dramatisation. Whether it’s supposed to be satire or not, he willingly threw up an anti-semitic sign in the middle of his performance.”

Some 1975 fans have attempted to defend Matty Healy and said the singer was giving a salute with his left arm, not his right as the Nazis did. They also said that the singer made the salute during the song in order to mock Kanye West for his anti-semitic comments.

The Tab has contacted Matty Healy’s representatives for comment.