A moment please for the women of Love Island – the backbones of the entire show

God is a woman and she’s all these past Islanders and their iconic moments

The women of Love Island are what makes the show what it is. There is no other argument. Every single year the villa is packed full of iconic and stand-out women, who hold the show on their backs. They provide the best entertainment, camaraderie within the villa and the best moments the show has ever had. Much like women do in the real world, let’s face it.

Of course, there are plenty of other women who have stepped foot in the Love Island villa and given us the most, but here’s a rundown of some of the most iconic ever – remembering every day that it’s the GALS who run Love Island, and the boys simply could never. Name me some Love Island boys who had impact like this, I dare you.

Megan Barton-Hanson

A moment for the most iconic women of Love Island

via ITV

The world hasn’t known chaos like the Love Island villa with Megan Barton-Hanson residing in it. She shook that poor building to it’s very core. This was a woman who said women love sex too, and wouldn’t let anyone say shit to her. She embraced her sexuality, did what she wanted to and firmly become one of the most memorable Islanders of all time.

Skipping through boys and dumping them when they proved to not be good enough? That’s Meg’s forte. Asking Wes to kiss her when he was couple up with Laura? Unstoppable. Also, remember when Megan Barton-Hanson invented sex with her heart racer challenge performance? My blood pressure still hasn’t returned to normal.

Maura Higgins

via ITV

Grab me some tissues because I still WEEP every time I realise we might not get another Maura Higgins. Fun fact: If you look up the word “bombshell” in the Oxford dictionary, underneath it you will see a picture of Maura Higgins walking into the villa and winking. Chef’s bloody kiss.

Have I recovered from her asking Tommy if Molly-Mae turns him on like she does? Or the iconic showdown with her and Tom when he questioned if she was all mouth or not? Probably not, and I doubt I ever will. Side note: WHY YA ASSSKIN HER DAT? HE DUSSINT. You heard that, didn’t you?

Olivia Attwood

via ITV

I’m not going to sit here and try and say that Olivia Attwood had a perfect ride in the Love Island villa. She didn’t. We all saw her shouting at Chris and at points it was difficult to watch. But Olivia was the perfect example of a woman who went on Love Island and left her ego at home. She was pure, unapologetically herself and wore her heart on her sleeve, as much of a cliche phrase that is. Also, she is the CEO of dicksand and the ick, so she’s earned legend status.

Amber Gill

via ITV

Do I even need to say anything about why Amber Gill is on this list? The woman is a hero. She was treated like dirt by Micheal, but owned him saying he was “acting like the big man” in front of the whole villa. She was also a huge advocate for supporting other people in the villa, and has since come out and shed light on bullying and what it’s really like to be an Islander. Nothing but respect, always.

Camilla Thurlow

via ITV

I here by present Camilla Thurlow: Patron Saint of Love Island women. She handed Jonny his arse on a plate when he came at her with his misogynistic opinions of feminism and tried to say women have complete equality. A yikes for him, a triumph for her.

Georgia Steel

via ITV

Gerogia Steel had possibly one of the biggest character arcs in Love Island history. I don’t even think she would deny herself that at first most of the UK population thought she was annoying and was ready to mute the TV every time she said “loyal”. But now, when I picture Georgia Steel I imagine her turning, composing herself, and owning Josh as he walked into the main villa with Kaz after Casa Amor, straight after Georgia had said she was “sticking with my Josh”. A moment. Plus, nobody will ever do iconic losing it like Miss G Steel collapsing on the sofa of the Love Island Beach Club and telling “Caroline, babes” that she can’t take the twist dumping her and Sam were faced with. Give this woman a BAFTA.

Amy Hart

via ITV

My heart honestly bled for Amy when she came back here to tell Curtis Pritchard she loved him. But she stood up, wouldn’t be second to anyone and left that villa and slimy Curtis behind. And good for her. She’s now got a new boyfriend and is living her best life. Congrats, hun!

Samira Mighty

via ITV

I have one thing I would like to say to Samira Mighty: Thank you. Thank you for being the ultimate girls’ girl, and sticking by the other Islanders, despite what was going on in your journey. Samira had a tough time with it in the villa, but no matter what, was always there for the other girls. I just want to be Samira’s best friend. She’s the type of woman who should be celebrated always.

Chloe Burrows

via ITV

Any woman who can strut into the Love Island villa, have every single guy admit they fancy her, endure a friendship couple with Hugo Hammond, change her voice every single day AND tame Toby deserves awards. Ain’t nobody ever gonna do it the way Chloe did, no whey. I also completely forgive her for saying she loved married men. It’s in the past.

Zara Holland

via ITV

Zara. Oh Zara. Zara is synonymous with why women need to stand up for what they know is right. Zara was done dirty, and it was wrong. She slept with Alex in the hideaway, and days later had her Miss GB crown taken off her. For what? Having sex? But, she came out in interviews and stood up for women’s rights, basically saying she wouldn’t change a thing. And she shouldn’t have to. Did anyone say anything bad about Alex having sex? Of course they didn’t.

Liberty Poole and Kaz Kamwi

via ITV

Name me a stronger duo of Love Island girly besties. You can’t, can you? Nothing but love here.

Ekin-Su Cülcüloğlu

via ITV

I know she’s not a past Islander, but Ekin-Su is the only person giving this year. Take the villa and give it hell, honey. I’m here for it.

Love Island 2022 continues on ITV2 at 9pm tonight. For all the latest Love Island news and gossip and for the best memes and quizzes, like The Holy Church of Love Island on Facebook.