‘The most unsettling TV I’ve ever seen’: People are horrified by Netflix Jimmy Savile doc

‘It truly is a horror’

Netflix has just released its latest true crime documentary series, Jimmy Savile: A British Horror Story, and early reviews of the show are calling it some of the most horrific TV you’ll ever watch.

After Savile died in 2011, hundreds of survivors of his abuse came forward to share their stories. He is now believed to be one of the most prolific sex offenders there has ever been in the UK. The two-part series explores his career and how his crimes went unnoticed for so long. Here’s what early reviews of the new Jimmy Savile Netflix doc have to say about it.

Reviews of Jimmy Savile A British Horror Story on Netflix

via Netflix

Jimmy Savile: A British Horror Story on Netflix explores the entertainer’s horrific crimes

Jimmy Savile was one of the UK’s most beloved TV personalities. He rose to prominence in a career spanning decades in the entertainment industry, had raised millions for charity, been knighted by the Queen and achieved national treasure status before his death. But the world didn’t know he had been fooling everyone for decades. Everywhere he had visited, came allegations of abuse.

Shortly after his death, an investigation prompted more than 450 horrific allegations of sexual assault and abuse, with victims as young as five. The independent investigations and those made by Scotland Yard uncovered that Savile had been a prolific and predatory sex offender, abusing hundreds of people.

The two-part documentary examines, through extensive archive footage, the evil within Jimmy and delves into how he managed to fool an entire nation for four decades. It looks at his career, relationships with celebs and the royal family, and how he was able to hide his crimes for so long.

via Netflix

In reviews, people are calling the Jimmy Savile Netflix doc ‘unsettling’ and ‘insane’

Reviews of Jimmy Savile: A British Horror Story on Netflix all reflect just how disturbing the case is. The Guardian rated the docuseries four stars and called it “a welter of devastating detail”. The Independent called it “devastating” and “bleak”. “By the end of the documentary, we are left with only sadness and anger,” the review concludes.

Twitter has a lot to say about the series too, with one person calling it “the most unsettling piece of television I think I’ve ever seen” adding it made them feel “queasy”. “Just started watching on Netflix, Jimmy Savile: A British Horror Story. And it truly is a horror, the signs were there but no one did anything about it,” another person wrote. Another called it “jaw-dropping” and someone else called it “insane”.

Jimmy Savile: A British Horror Story is available on Netflix now. For all the latest Netflix news, drops, quizzes and memes like The Holy Church of Netflix on Facebook.