Ok so what actually is this ‘Drivers License’ song everyone’s crying about?

Honestly, the memes are enough to make me break down

Everyone’s crying, but not for the usual reasons. A new ballad has come along and singlehandedly revived the sad banger art form – Drivers License by Olivia Rodrigo.

There have been a whole bunch of memes about the song, really hammering home just how sad it is.

The song even managed to break Spotify’s record for the most streams in a single day (for a non-Christmas song). Twice.

What’s Drivers License by Olivia Rodrigo all about?

After being released earlier this month, Drivers License has caused a stir. In the heart-wrenching banger, Rodrigo sings about finally passing her driving test, but instead of being able to drive over to her boyfriend’s house, she’s found herself single. It’s heartbreaking.

Rather, she spends the song worrying about who her ex might be with. She can’t drive past the places they used to go together. It really is heartbreaking.

drivers license olivia rodrigo

There could also be a real-life meaning here. The boy in the song could be Joshua Bassett, Rodrigo’s High School musical co-star and rumoured partner.

The song also includes the line “Cause you didn’t mean what you wrote in that song about me”, which fans think could be a reference to a couple of Basset’s songs.

This theory also fits with the other girl in the song, referenced when Rodrigo sings: “And you’re probably with that blonde girl, who always made me doubt, she’s so much older than me”. Bassett is rumoured to be dating singer Sabrina Carpenter, a link which came about after the pair posted TikToks of them dressed up as Shark Boy and Lava Girl. Classic.

Fun fact: Carpenter’s aunt is Nancy Cartwright, who voices Bart Simpson. Even more fun fact: Carpenter is four years older than Rodrigo.

Who is Olivia Rodrigo?

17-year-old Olivia Rodrigo shot to fame when she starred in High School Musical: The Musical – The Series.

drivers license olivia rodrigo

Before that, she was in the Disney Channel sitcom Bizaardvark. Now signed to a major record label, with her song taking the world by storm and an EP on the way, some are talking about Rodrigo as the next Billie Eilish.

I mean, Taylor Swift did comment on one of her Insta posts.

Here are some of the best Drivers License memes, if you want to feel sad with other people

Naturally, there are a host of sad/hilarious/relatable/tragic/inspired memes about the song.

Of course, there are also loads of Tumblr-esque sad posts about One Direction splitting up, which are excellent.

Big fan of the culture.